An AV Forums members directory?

WorldChampionsGoo

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Often wondered if it would be a good idea to get an AVF members directory going for us all to reference.

So, for example, if I needed an electrician in Manchester, I could find a fellow member on here and decide if I wanted to use him. It could be used almost as a networking site as people refer on to fellow members and so on and so forth.

Is this something that would be useful?

Reading plenty of threads about advice on accountancy, financial advice, kitchen fitting, plumbing etc etc .... and thought this might be worth a shot.

What does everyone else think?

Anyone need a plant and machinery salesman?
Will travel.

Damn ..... just bought a load of plants from the Garden Centre over the weekend :D

You see, if I knew you were in that game, I could have used you ....

:mad:

A good idea in theory, but imagine the fallout the team would have to deal with in the event that a transaction went bad - they could put up all the disclaimers they wanted to, but would probably still end up having to arbitrate among members for things outside of their control. Potential nightmare.

A good idea in theory, but imagine the fallout the team would have to deal with in the event that a transaction went bad - they could put up all the disclaimers they wanted to, but would probably still end up having to arbitrate among members for things outside of their control. Potential nightmare.
This.

Plus the mods would probably have more work to do in binning people joining up just to advertise etc.

Could it not be used just like a networking meeting / breakfast thing that I'm always getting invited to? The people running it organise the event, location etc and its up to you to get around, talk to people and open up business opportunities.

I can't imagine AVForums could be responsible any more than Facebook could. Or am I missing something here?

I want a painter and decorator in Manchester and Kav, you're on the directory, I could just get in touch like using the Yellow Pages.

Maybe I view things too simply.

I think it’s a good idea. As long as it is made clear that the directory is not to be used to purchase goods but is there for individuals to provide a service then it could work. I think for it to work effectively members would have to be registered with this site for a minimum term before being authorized to participate.

It could work.

This.

Plus the mods would probably have more work to do in binning people joining up just to advertise etc.

Yeah good points Ash and Kav, I hadn't really thought about a load of new members joining for the free advertising.

I had recently seen some posts in the sports section from someone whose signature was pretty much an advert for their own business and it got me thinking ......

I had recently seen some posts in the sports section from someone whose signature was pretty much an advert for their own business and it got me thinking ......

:eek: that sig won't last long

I can do a bit of painting Steve...I'll do it for you.

(kav doesn't cut in properly)

I can only pay in pounds sterling ... not Euros!

I guess another problem would be where this would leave those members who have paid their dues to be acceredited as forum advertisers. At the moment, anyone who even makes reference to offering a service runs the risk of falling foul of the infamous "Rule 7". The suggestion to run a directory leaves those who've paid at a bit of a disadvantage. My other thought is that a lot of the benefit from networking is gained from actually getting to know people / how they operate / what their priorities are, not just that they work in a particular sector of business.

The issue of people joining just to have access to the directory could be overcome with a time and number of useful posts in a period requirement (eg at least one year membership, and at an average of least one sensible post per week with a removal from the register or charge of £x if the requirement isn't kept up - could be self governing so that the person concerned has to "nominate" their useful posts each month).

If it weren't for the advertisers I'd say go for it - I'm far more likely to trust someone with a common interest than I am just anyone from a phone book (other things such as qualifications/trade association membership being equal)

Al

it said something like "Assured Advertiser"

Those are different. They have permission from AVF to advertise as they are AV related companies. Im guessing they also pay and advertising fee.

I think it's a great idea :thumbsup:

You do sort of tend to build up a relationship with members over a while and although you can't take everything at face value on the net, you do get a feel about what someone is like.
I mean, if I was going to get my gear calibrated for instance, it'd be by one of the lads on here.

But yes, I can see the downside in people coming on purely to advertise.

Maybe that could be got around with a minimum post count?

And it could be left outside the mods jurisdiction, but still use the feedback thing?

Anyone need a plant and machinery salesman?
Will travel.

I can advise on setting up TV in obscure Buxton Quarries... :laugh:

I do freelance pontification if the expenses and riders are covered.

Sounds like a good idea as long as members are prepared to offer forum advice on their particular area of expertise free of charge. Anything further goes to PM's and it should be made clear at that stage that the AVForums take no responsibilty whatsoever and the moderators shouldn't get involved?

Graphic and web design and development here although I think this is probably a no go as I got told off for my avatar once :D

Anyone want to know how to hedge their portfolio and balance their risk? :)

Fees very very unreasonable.

I'll ensure that the risks posed to your technology environment are appropriately managed. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom