An app to play AVI & MKV files..?

gino_76ph

Standard Member
hi there

i currently have an Android Phone (the Samsung Galaxy Apollo i5800) and i found the phone to be quite useful in my everyday life. but secretly i am STILL a lover and admirer of the iPhone....its apps, features and uses.

i have several Divx files (in AVI container) and MKV files as well. now, i'm aware that officially the iPhone (3GS and 4) cannot play these said files but i have heard and read that an app will be able to.

i would like to know which app is this please? i think this would be a turning point in finally deciding to buy an iPhone again...

i want a phone that suits my needs. and i think the iPhone will deliver that. weather it has its faults or not....

thanks.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
There's quite a few video player apps on the iPhone, including VLC which has just been released.

There's also a few that you wouldn't think of - for example, I use AirSharing, which is an app to use my iPhone as a wireless disk (transfer files to and from the iPhone and computer over wifi, aswell as in iTunes) which I prodominantly use for viewing office (word, excel, pdf, etc) files, but it also plays a few media file types too, including AAC and MP3 audio, MP4 and M4V video, and I *think* it also plays AVI. Not sure about MKV mind.

You're best bet is probably VLC though...

Badger Mushroom

Buzz Player is much better than VLC on the iPhone, I don't think there's anything that can play a whole host of MKV's well every time though

PU6HY

Distinguished Member
I've just started using VLC for a load of films I now have. Plays avi's perfectly.
Haven't tried anything else yet so can't comment but works fine for me :thumbsup:

bransoj

I've used VLC now for a number of things and its not let me down once yet. Far easier than spending ages converting them via Handbrake etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom