an amp with a creative x-fi soundcard?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by totalnewbie, Mar 23, 2006.

1. totalnewbie

totalnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi guys

was wondering if you could clear this situation up for me:

im going to be importing some canton movie mx 60 surround speakers from germany. i will also be making anew pc and was wondering how to go about connecting my new x-fi soundcard up to the speakers. im not too sure if an amp/reciever is the right way to go about it. what i wanna know is:

1. the sound card will do the surround processing so if i connect it to an amp will the surround be processed twice?

2. since the x-fi card is a very good sound card, which will be better at surround sound processing? the sound card or the reciever?

3. if the sound card gives better sound, is there any other way i can connect my soundcard to my speakers?

4.lastly are there any of you out there who have a x-fi card? and what do you think of it compared with your surround hardware?

thanks for your help!

2. arby1

arby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    i've got an x-fi. and have got every lead possible ocming out the back of it. I use the digital connection to the amp for DVD's, so i think it bypasses all the x-fi processing and the amp does it all. However, no games are currently encoded with digital surround, they only do seperate channels, so you need an amp with multi surround inputs and 3 rca leads to connect it. In this instance, the processing of the amp is bypassed and the x-fi does it all. I see it as having the best of both worlds.
    You can also 'process' the sound twice if you so want. The x-fi has all that crystalliser nonsense to make stereo sources sound more enveloping. If you output that to the amp then you can further do dolby pl2 and other stuff to it. Play to your hearts content