An American Werewolf in London

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Gae, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Gae

Gae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I settled down to watch this on the projector last night, at least hoping it might be upscaled and look quite good. What did I see? A transfer of the film that looked as bad as my original VHS version. I have the movie on DVD but as this film is out on HD DVD and it was being screened on Sky One HD (showing as 7% in the recording planner) I expected far more for this older film. Upscaled at least. Why bother showing the film at all if it looks so bad? I wish Sky would do like the Beeb and only show HD stuff on their Sky One HD channel. I didnt watch the movie in the end as it looked so bad. A complete waste of time and money in this case. :thumbsdow

Gae

2. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been saying that from the start but most here love the mirrored Sky1, Sky1hd.

If a channel does not show HD 24/7 its not a proper HD channel in my eyes.

As time goes by the poor HD quality and poor HD output from SKY1HD is going to pee a lot of people off. They should be able to show good quality HD at least 7-8 hours a day, now its more like 7-8 hours a month.

3. Gae

Gae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Neil,
    I'm just trying to get my head around understanding the idea behind screening a movie like "An American Werewolf in London" on Sky One HD without actually showing it in HD. HD subscribers who are fans of the movie will have it on DVD no doubt and so would expect something special to be shown, not some substandard VHS quality version of the movie. I understand when they show TV series that aren't in HD, because of the original quality of the material i.e. Star Trek:TNG but in the case of a movie shot on "film", there should be no excuses. We are paying for HD content on these channels so give us that please. Surely Sky arent just about filling in slots for advertising? They must understand that Movie Fans tuning in to a movie on Sky One HD expect to see something decent. Just because we dont subscribe to Sky Movies, we are still paying for the HD channels and we expect better with regards to movies being shown on these HD channels, especially an older classic like "AAWIL". The Beeb do it so why cant Sky? I get the impression with Sky that they are always trying to find ways to ween people off the lower packages in order that they upgrade to the full package, by showing substandard stuff like in this instance. Has "An American Werewolf in London" been shown in HD on any of the Movie Channels yet? I'd be interested to know.

Gae

4. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    agree, it looked terrible.

although the recent BBCHD showing of 1933 King King was attrocious too

5. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but that was to be expected with a 1930's film. Everyone went on about king Kong and how good it was going to look but it looked just like I expected which was a 1930's B/W film.

6. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I wasn't expecting it to be mind-blowing but it looked worse than the recent DVD release

7. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not seen the DVD so cant comment on that, I think its asking too much to bring this old stuff back to life in full HD PQ.

8. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I posted in one of the other threads earlier today at my complete dismay at how Sky could get away with playing like you say a copy of American Werewolf that looked no better than my early 80's Beta-max copy. Honestly I couldn't believe what I was seeing on a HD channel.

The point is if it looks like that what the heck is it doing being played on HD channel, real poor show Sky.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY1HD and SKY1 are simulcast channels, there are times for SD content watching on the lower resolution channel will probably provide a better viewing experience. As soon as I realised it wasn't HD then it never went on my planner and well the master may pre-date the recent DVD release simply because a broadcaster would probably have to pay for a new master.

As for SD on a HD channel, it launched that way and while I would like a dedicated SKY1HD I question the number of people who would then complain over the lack of HD on such a channel:)

10. jbravo2uk

jbravo2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I must admit i was looking forward to this in hd,being one of my fav movies,sky should be ashamed of themselves show such poor quality even on sd,they need to start to get there act together,i saw this in hd in america on hbo and it was awsome.

11. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots never knew that, thats the problem, Sky (and some shop salesman) did a good job of hiding this fact. We all moan about it but it wont change anything, such a shame as it could have been a real good channel.

12. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I for one would much prefer a dedicated Sky1HD channel with fewer programmes as long as the ones that are broadcast are native HD.

As it stands I feel kind of cheated, whether that's down to my own ignorance or a good sales / marketing job by Sky it makes no difference.

13. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    :mad: that just makes it worse knowing a HD version is available, talk about taking the ****** Sky.

14. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    After finishing watching Hotel Babylon in HD, I flicked to this, one of my favourites and I was so disappointed by the quality. My £10 a month is wasted on things like his. When done properly, Sky HD is incredible...other times a let down.

Dave

15. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not down to your own ignorance at all. I did a lot of checking before getting HD and was well aware that SKY1HD PQ was not up to a great standard or the HD content was very little. Problem is when you see some great HD PQ on the other channels it gets frustrating when watching SKY1HD, especially things like An American Werewolf in London where the PQ obviously was so bad. Its hard enough actually finding a HD broadcast on Sky1hd and then when they show one its normally pants PQ so you can understand people getting annnoyed.

16. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I saw this too and wondered why the hell I paid for a HD service to watch that rubbish. Even the lovely Jennys assets didnt help (much) :(

was Silent Running that bad as well then?.

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Silent Running was a native HD broadcast were as this movie was a SD upscale which was indicated in the EPG and given a poor master the upscaling like any upscaling can result in a very poor result.
    Look at the BBC's HD King Kong, native HD but poor master and the result was pathetic.

Upscaling is not substitute for native HD I think we can all agree on but given that many people see an advantage in "some" upscaled SD broadcast on the HD channel I would rather have it than a blank screen.

18. rnem170

rnem170

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Maybe if Sky1HD had a blank screen when it was SD, forcing you to switch to 106, then we'd all really know how many programs are actually broadcast in HD.

Can you legitimately call it and HD channel if it doesn't show HD? I wonder if ofcom (or whoever's support to regulate TV broadcasting) has any power over sky.... they ought to.

19. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Sky stated prior to its release that SKY1HD would be mirrored with 106 with only limited HD content. There are 2 problems with SKY1HD, the lack of HD and the PQ of the HD they show. I can count on one finger the HD stuff on SKY1HD that's good quality the rest is very average. I hate the mirroring of the channels, its cheap and nasty and I sure would not call it a HD channel.

20. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Exactly why are they able to call it a HD channel when clearly it only outputs native HD on very few occasions.

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It's these grey areas that keep lawyers in jags:)

The way you can look at it is that SKY1HD has everything broadcast in HD, the resolutions and bitrates support that but the underlying factor is that not all the programming is sourced from HD masters.
    SKY made that clear before the service launched last May and still do (but they don't shout it from the rooftops) and of course the EPG and DOG clearly indicate native HD when offered.

A formal complaint to the ASA or OFCOM may get an insight into their opinion if someone really cared to make the effort.