1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An alternative take on whether to wait

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Luis, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat as a lot of people who seem to come on and browse these forums, as to the question of whether I wait to look at the HD panasonic or buy a SD screen now. The general consensus seems to be that it's probably better to wait and see how good the HD panny is going to be before deciding.

My alternative take on this is as follows:

Judging by the rate that plasmas are dropping in terms of price, surely if you're going to wait for a HD plasma it makes sense to wait say 2 years when HD will really be taking off and the HD screens will be on their second/third geneartion models, which coupled with the general drop in prices means that you'd likely be able to pick up a brand new HD screen for considerably less than the first wave of HD plasmas, and they should offer significantly better performance all round?

Perhaps I'm just trying to justify my decision to go ahead and buy a th42pe50b, but the more and more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that both financially (I'm no millionaire) and in terms of performance for your money, if you're facing this dilemna, waiting may not actually be as best an option as it first appears

anyway..

2. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Luis, here was my thinking recently in this post

3. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link John, that makes sense! :)

One of the things making em reluctant to buy into HD just yet is the fact that HD broadcasts aren't even around yet. I mean how long will it be before they become common place?

I guess it comes down to the old situation regarding anything technology, where you can always wait for the next best thing to come out or wait for the price to drop, but at some point you just have to take the plunge!

Maybe I'll just have to convince my Dad to buy a HD plasma when he finally decides to get his own, hehe

4. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD broadcasts aren't the only reason to have a HD screen - Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Xbox (Next?, 360?), PS3, HTPC...

5. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are any of the above mentioned any closer to happening than HD broadcasts?

6. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it all depends on what type of consumer you are. There is always something new on the horizon, and if you're an early adopter of technology then you're likely to want the next big thing. The problem with being an early adopter though is that you pay the price in many ways. Of course you pay a financial premium, but in my view early adopters often have problems with the technology simply because it is a "new" thing (bluetooth was a good example of this). Because the technology is new then there is also the issue of lack of information, knowledge bases such as this forum simply don't have the answers because often problems are being discovered for the first time. For these reasons (particularly that finances don't allow) I prefer to buy technology that is tried and tested; in the case of a recent plasma purchasing this was a non-HD PW6. I'm sure by the time I purchase a new TV, which I do every five years or so, it will be HD - but then the answers to all the important questions will be on this forum, and I'm sure there will be a new technology on the horizon that everyone is umming and arring about whether to adopt.

James

7. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts James.

This frigging 'SD now vs wait for HD' argument is causing me no end of grief! If I was only spending £20 as opposed to £2000 then perhaps I'd be happier :D

I'm still leaning towards the 42pe50b

8. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HTPC's are already here. And AFAIK:

Xbox due for the end of the year (in the US at least).
    PS3 due early next year.
    Blu-Ray / HD-DVD due this year (although media will trickle out slowly at first).

9. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    For me, I am budget driven, so I need to look at what I can get for my budget. Since I need the whole lot (screen, wall mount, extra cables / connectors etc) to come in under £2K - and ideally nearer £1500 - this has the greatest influence on me. If I'm lucky, I could maybe sneak an ISF callibration in a couple of months down line.

Knowing that there are some great SD screens around for this price - other than chosing between these - the main questions to ask seem to be:
    1 why am I thinking of buying now?
    2 what am I going to use the screen for?
    3 what would HD add to this?
    4 what are the consequences of deciding to wait for HD?

The answers to which seem (for me) to be:

1. my cheap old CRT is a bit iffy. We could make much better use of the living room without it taking up space. I could improve the layout of my 5.1 setup with a wall mounted plasma

2. some digital tv - for the children and myself/Mrs Cupier. DVDs, VHS very occasionally

3. I can't see Teletubbies in HD being a great improvement! The amount of TV I actually watch (football on poor people's TV and Dr Who is about it) doesn't seem worth the expense. Also, I'm not clear yet as to what broadcast material is going to be HD. My DVD player in not prog scan but has component outs so I would need to upgrade this to get full value out of DVDs (and presumably I'd need to buy new DVDs as well).

4. Since I'm budget constrained, I'll be lucky to find a decent HD plasma at my price point for a couple of years at most. I would still have to upgrade my DVD player to get real benefit (which would have to be factored in to the budget). I would lose out on several years of a better speaker & room layout and the 42in plasma 'experience'. On the plus side, the 'wait and see' strategy means I have £2K + interest in my pocket ready for the HD purchase, which might let me get in to the HD ladder sooner than I would if I'd already bought an SD panel. On the downside, I'm sure Mrs Cupier can find other things to do with the money if it doesn't get spent now!

On balance, I find it hard to justify waiting for HD. Of course circumstances could overtake me, but I figure that in a few years time when we are downloading HD-quality video on demand it'll be time to re-evaluate anyway. I think I'd rather have a good SD screen now and have enough left in the budget to get it properly connected and set up. If the 'worst comes to the worst', I can always get a scaler to handle HD signals and send them to my SD panel and get some improvement in PQ, whilst I wait.

that's the logic I'm using at the moment (PWD7 here I come!) if anyone can see any flaws in it, tell me now before I make any mistakes!

10. twin_decks

twin_decks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good logic Theo,

One thing to add (I have a remarkably similar initial setup), Although your DVD Player is not progressive output, a typical Plasma will convert your component signal into progressive for the display. So actually short of DVI, you will have a ideal DVD setup.

Hope someone corrects me if I've misunderstood.