An alternative approach to bass management with 2 subs

• Thread starter Deleted member 39241
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39241

I'm rethinking my set up in terms of subwoofers and bass management.

I have a BKXLS200 firing along the front wall and I am considering using this purely to do the lower frequencies of the front left and right and centre speakers. This would mean the L&R would be connected via high level and the centre connected via the centre channel pre-out into the mono low level input on the sub. I can then set the crossovers on the sub to blend with the roll off of those speakers, and set those speakers as large on the AVR.

My second sub, which is behind the main listening position would take the LFE input from the AVR, and the bass below the crossover setting on the AVR for the remaining surround / atmos speakers set to small with a crossover setting of 120hz or 150hz. This sub is currently a very old MS309W, but it might be time to upgrade, maybe a BKXLS400.

This plan plays more to the weaknesses of my Arcam AVR550 in that although it sounds great, it only has a global crossover for the base layer speakers, and Dirac only EQ's one sub, so with multiple subs, it EQ's them as one. Also, hearing centre channel content coming out of the sub behind the MLP, drives me nuts!

Has anyone tried this, or something similar, or has some helpful critique of my plan? I know that the downside is that my 7.2.2 set-up would become a 7.1.2 set-up. But the plus side is that I get different crossover setting options for the front main and centre speakers, Dirac only has to EQ one sub, and all of the bass from the LCR channels stays at the front of the room.

D

Deleted member 39241

Well, I gave it a go, and so far, so good. Surprisingly transformational :)

I think the main advantage is that there is now no centre channel content at all coming from the sub that is behind the MLP, but I am getting strong, clear, full frequency range audio for the LCR speakers and it is all emanating from the front wall.

Whilst the bass from the rest of the speakers and the LFE channel is being dealt with by an entirely different sub behind the MLP.

Attached a screen grab from Dirac of the centre speaker blended in with the sub, in case it is of interest to anyone.

Attachments

• Centre 280119.PNG
    Centre 280119.PNG
    194.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited by a moderator:

billiumb

Well, I gave it a go, and so far, so good. Surprisingly transformational :)

I think the main advantage is that there is now no centre channel content at all coming from the sub that is behind the MLP, but I am getting strong, clear, full frequency range audio for the LCR speakers and it is all emanating from the front wall.

Whilst the bass from the rest of the speakers and the LFE channel is being dealt with by an entirely different sub behind the MLP.

Attached a screen grab from Dirac of the centre speaker blended in with the sub, in case it is of interest to anyone.

How is this going?

Cheers. Bill

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi, I've had a bit of a change around as I found that the LFE channel sounded better in the room when using both subs as dual. And I can't use the low level input in the BK200 at the front for both the centre channel and the LFE channel at the same time as the crossover setting on the sub would need to be different for each of those channels.

So, in order to keep the centre channel as large and not lose too much bass, I have swapped out the centre speaker for one that goes a bit lower. Sounds good.

Conrad

If you were getting locatable bass it suggests your crossover might be a bit high. What was it set at and what are your mains/center/surrounds?

D

Deleted member 39241

If you were getting locatable bass it suggests your crossover might be a bit high. What was it set at and what are your mains/center/surrounds?
Yes. It is too high for the centre, but it is the right setting for the surrounds and my AVR has a global crossover for all of the base layer speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom