• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

An all in one system for a newbie

SmudgerDan

Standard Member
Hi AV friends ,

I am a complete Media newbie and so would like your help selecting a suitable Home Cinema system for my lounge.

I have recently bought a Samsung PS50B530S2 which I am yet to set up due to the house I have bought currently being renovated. What I am after though is a good all on one cinema system to overcome the well known poor Samsung sound quality which incorporates the following;

• 5.1 Audio - (DTS, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD preferably)
  • Blu Ray Player
  • 1080P upscaling
  • Connectivity for Sky HD, Xbox 360 and option for a further device at a later date
  • DIVX playback
  • On Screen Display
Im not adverse to buying an AV receiver separately with a Blu Ray player but im trying to keep the system down to around the £400 mark.

I have used the search function but there is so many different opinions, options etc that its difficult to make a valid judgement. Some systems offer much more than i will other need and others excel in some area's but not in others. I ideally need a system which satisfies the above but with the best sound and picture quality for the money

I know this is quite a difficult task but any help or advice would be appreciated:smashin:.

Dan

Last edited:

UncleBaz

Standard Member
Hi smudger,

I am also a newbie in all in one systems but opted to buy a Sony BDV-E300 the other week and have to admit it is awesome. It basically does everything I need it to. I chose this system so I could hook up my 40W5500 via Bravia link and this works perfectly. I also have a PS3 and Virgin (standard) box hooked up.
The system is brilliant when watching BD/DVDs and so damn loud. It is also very easy to set up and the calibration of the speakers is also easy thanks to a mic.
Hope this helps

Good luck

SmudgerDan

Standard Member
Hi smudger,

I am also a newbie in all in one systems but opted to buy a Sony BDV-E300 the other week and have to admit it is awesome. It basically does everything I need it to. I chose this system so I could hook up my 40W5500 via Bravia link and this works perfectly. I also have a PS3 and Virgin (standard) box hooked up.
The system is brilliant when watching BD/DVDs and so damn loud. It is also very easy to set up and the calibration of the speakers is also easy thanks to a mic.
Hope this helps

Good luck

Baz, thanks for the reply.

Have looked at the E300 quite a few times but from the spec i could find it doesnt have many inputs (No HDMI in, and only one optical)

How have you managed to hook up your PS3 and Virgin box? You havent by any chance got a picture of the back of the player have you?

The other alternative was going to be the Sony HTPBD36SSE1FIYG but its slightly out of my budget at the moment and also everywhere seems to be out of stock!

Accuracy158

Standard Member
This Samsung is suppose to have pretty good sound quality for a fairly low priced HTiB (includes blu-ray player and Dolby/DTS HD but no HDMI input).

(However I live in the US I don't know how easy it would be for you to get.)

Most newer blu-ray player decode the lossless audio formats for you (including the PS3) and sony has some buget HTiB that can play the LPCM from the blu-ray player.

UncleBaz

Standard Member
Smudger,
you're right about the BDV-E300 having no HDMI input, but it does have 1 optical, 1 coaxial and the usual component inputs. I was looking to get an amp and speaker seperates but decided to get this system because it does everything I need it to, it was pretty cheap (House of Fraser sale £300) and What HiFi gave it 5 stars out of 5 stating it was best in class.:thumbsup:
I have it hooked up to my tv via HDMI. PS3 is linked to tv via HDMI and into the E300 via optical. Virgin is linked to tv via scart. To get surround sound from Virgin box I have the tv linked to E300 via phono but it is still only stereo sound just output to all speakers. It still sounds cool tho.

I haven't got a picture of the back but I will try to get one and upload it.
I don't know much about the HTPBD36SSE1FIYG so can't really comment. Sorry

UncleBaz

Standard Member
Is the E300 capable of using wireless rear speakers in a 5.1 configuration?

Hi m8,

The E300 is 7.1 ready as I am sure you know and there are multiple sound effects you can achieve with the speakers so if you were to buy the additional wireless pair I am sure you could use them in a 5.1 system by just not connecting the surround L+R but I am sure someone else can advise you better. I guess you want to do this due to having wires going everywhere?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom