1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

An A/V Furniture question

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by dUnKle, Mar 26, 2002.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Need to upgrade my furniture due to now having too many pieces.
    Went to IKEA yesterday and found a few nice pieces but none which met my needs as well as I wanted.
    Are there any good UK dealers that sell furniture ( preferably cheap :) ) ?
    Are there any which will custome build you something ?

My current stand was self built brillaintly by my Dad, but the new one may be a little too ambitious, I ideally want it to be a long style bench, about 45 to 50" wide and about 20" high which my TV would sit ontop of.

Any ideas ?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Duncan: I made my own stand back around christmas. Took a while to build due to work comitments. I would design and build you one but I haven't the time I'm afraid. I have linked a pic below. If you need any hlep do hesitate to ask.

Attached Files:

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Kinda similar to what im after.

My design that I have in mind is something along the lines of.....

Three columns of shelves. The far left column holding say the Amp, DVD player and maybe X-BOX. The Center holding the Center speaker PS2 and Dreamcast and the final column being for the rest of the equipment.

Like I say it would be about 50" wide and hold my 32" TV on top, so I obviously need some strong wood.

What wood / materials would I need to use that would support a 32" W/S TV ?

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I guess you are looking at 18" widths for the shelves min to fit the euipment in properly with the center column being either the width or height of the centre speaker depending on orientation. It would be narrower for a vertical centre.

My stand is made from 30mm MDF top and bottomm 18mm MDf shelves and 50x50mm legs. The legs are bolted together with threaded rod from top to bottom. It is very strong and heavy, can take the weight of all my gear + projector (Barco D600) and myself. It's bending a touch in the middle at the bottom, this can easily be remedied by adding an extra set of castors though.

It is 1.15m wide (46inchs approx) by 0.45m deep (18inchs) by approx 0.7m high (28inchs).

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    The left and right sided columns would be about the width of the equipment ( with about half an inch either side for breathing space, my A1D gets very hot ) but the center column would be slightly smaller but still with a slight bit of room either side of the center speaker.

How much wood do you think I would need and what thickness ( espescially for top and bottom ) would I need ? How much would this cost ? Based on three shelfs on the left ( AMP and DVD player are much higher and again the amp needs room to breath ) four in center and four on the right hand column.

Once I have some idea of what materials I need and were to buy it, I could go and get it and give my Dad NO excuse not to help :)

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I shall await a post from Taz for more info on bits.

I buy my MDF from B&W or Homebase If I buy it, best option is to find a friend who works for a furniture compmany etc.

Unsure of overall costs for my stand, go to be somewhere around the £100 mark.

MDF is the expensive bit, you always need more than you have, bit like wallpaper!

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    So if I was to build a stand based on the design I have given above out of MDF would it be strong enough for a heavy W/S set ?

I have looked around and not seen a pre-built stand which would suit so its gonna be a build-it ourselves job

8. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

Yes MDF 30mm will hold your TV, You and the family car... well maybe not the car;)

Sketch your design (to scale) and mail it to me and I will tell you how much it will cost you and the sizes etc your gonna need.

CAD-CAM Team Leader has some benifits eh!:D

I am in the process of building a new AV rack designed by ReTrO A similar build to his ie.. using threaded rod consruction... my shelves have been veneered in yew with silver lippings all to match my B&W's will post pics asap.

Taz.:cool:

9. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

MDF + Machining..... I'd say about doulble that:eek:

Rick, what did you pay for your threaded rods??

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Currently in the planning stages as we speak :)

Have no scanner so will try ( once created on paper ) to draw roughly in paint or something similar and post on here for you.

roughly how much would two pieces of 30mm MDF cost with rough dimensions being 2ft by 5ft

11. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

What is a foot:confused: the only 2 I know of are on the end of my legs!;) :D

Get a design to me tonight and i'll mail you with how much I can get the bits for, are you near High Wycombe??

can you PM me with your email address, there are some things i'd rather talk about privately;)

12. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    email address is DuncanSWardle@AOL.COM !!!

My Dad is interested in what way is best to secure the whole thing together, it was not a problem with the standard A/V stand but his concern this time is the wieght of the TV on top. He agrees that the 30mm MDF is the best bet.

What is this threaded rod thing ?

Seeing as I have no scanner im not sure about getting the design to you but how about a worded design.

Three columns, each housing equipment and being 18" wide each

First Column to have AMP at top ( 8.5" high ) the DVD player under that ( 6.5" high ) the X-BOX under that ( 4.5" high ) and then some storage space between that and the base.

Second Column to have Center speaker at top ( 6.5" high ) the gap between this and the floor will be 20" or so ( I want the bottom of the center to be about 20" from the floor ) this gap will be divided with equally highted shelves.

The final ( right hand ) column will house the rest of the equipment and have four or five shelves.

The TV ( 32" W/S ) will then sit on top.

This was the brief I wrote down for the old man so we shall see what he comes up with, anybody else fancy the challenge ?

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Additional to that, in the first column the DVD player would go at the top with the AMP under that, this would mean one continuous shelf for the DVD player and center speaker

14. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a problem... will have the cutting list and CAD drawings for you by Friday.;)

I'm not trying to sell you anything, Im just trying to help you by the way;)

15. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Cheers mate, thats a great help.

If your ever down shropshire way thats a pint or two I owe you

16. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Any chance of having a look at Retro's threaded rod design?

17. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'll post a pic of a diagram later tonight.

It's based on the Flexirack idea on TNT-Audio, but with wooden legs around the rods.

18. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    From Ikea

[​IMG]
    £49.00 Link

[​IMG]
    £80.00 Link

19. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Thanks JSW I went round IKEA on Monday and whilst both those units are very nice they are nowhere near close to being the correct size for all my gear.

Its definatly going to be the self buit unit again.

Just out of interest I like the idea of the unit matching my speakers, I have B&W 603 in cherry and black and was wandering what stain / wax I would need to use

20. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    get a light cherry colour stain and apply with a rag.
    The more you apply the darker it will get.

Any good quality wood wax is ok. again apply with a clean rag.

The above is assuming you use real wood or a real wood veneer.

21. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Exactly! there is no way you can stain MDF, it will just soak in and look patchy, MDF sealer can be applied to the edges to give a wood look and the skins of MDF can be painted as long as they are primed first..the best option is to veneer them and, as we have just discontinued our cherry range of furniture, i'd say you were in luck! ;)

PS still working on designs...wont be long.

22. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Just seen your new stand, very nice, I hope mine looks as good when I get round to building it.

Looking forward to seeing what your sugested design is. Dad finished his and it looks like it has potential.

How long would you say it takes to build ? Im off next weekend and am looking at getting it built then. Parents are close to thye guys at local builder / wood yard and so all the MDF will be purchased ready cut to size.

One last question, what did you use to make your stand that colour

23. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Duncan,

Its MDF veneered in Yew then polished... the edges are 18mm square beech coloured silver. the legs are Koto.

took me and rick 4 hours from start to finish thats building and wiring.

Just sending you an email now.

Still working on drawings, wont be long now my build today got in the way of designs!;)

24. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Thanks very much