1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An A/V DIY beginner's project....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by iandmcneill, Jun 12, 2005.

1. iandmcneill

iandmcneill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just thought I'd start a wee record of my first A/V DIY project. My existing setup is really simpe - SONY 36" CRT, XBOX (also used as DVD player), Sony STR-KSL5 receiver and, SONY Freeview, SKY+ and some Sony surrounds (bundled with the KSL5). We've just moved into a new house 2 weeks ago and with some spare proceeds I've been able to set about improving the home cinema front. Initially this was just to be a plasma screen to save space, but I've now been so taken with the examples of handywork here, in particular cable hiding etc., I've decided to go for a totally new setup :)

Two images of current setup attached.

So, after some thought and many hours reading the forums, I've purchased the following items:

Panasonic TH-42PWD7BS,TY-42TM6Y Dual Slot Board and wall mount
    Denon AVR-1905 Receiver
    Denon 1710 DVD
    JS Tech Master Scart Controller
    JS Tech RGB to YUV Converter
    Canton CD1 Speakers

The plan is to have all of the gear on a glass unit (I've gone for an Argos sona model to start with - only 70 quid - but ideally I'd like something with cable management, unless I can drill the holes on the Argos stand) in the corer, near where the wee wooden chair is in the pic. The plasma panel will be on the wall just above the exiting screen but about 2 feet to the right to be in the middle of the room. This will then take power and component/vga begind the plasterboard down and along, popping out behind the equipment in the corner. CD1s will be mounted on the wall, cables dropped down plasterboard, and the sub tucked away, probably behind a couch.

The stuff should start arriving in the next few days, so once the Sony CRT is out of they way I'll be getting started and I'll try and keep progress updated here. Bearing in mind this is my first go at this kind of DIY, there will no doubt be some right bleeps going on and should be a laugh for others if not informative for others thinking about embarking on the same kind of project.

My main two aims were to improve the quality of the setup, and to improve the look (cables, less space taken up etc.) so if I get there I'll be well happy.

Cheers,
    Ian

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      Size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
    • b.JPG
      b.JPG
      Size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
  2. dirge

dirge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    when it comes to tidy consoles, wireless pads are fantastic. I couldn't go back now, feels strange having to lean forward to play hehe

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Good to see others with the right priorities.

Pics still on floor, probably 1001 jobs/snags to do, diggers still outside... but the AV system is all set up and raring to go! :thumbsup: ...PJ