AMW/ronin P80L/H bargain player @ £40 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by danjos, May 19, 2004.

1. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The AMW P80H was recently discussed as being a great cheap player whilst on offer at dabs. I missed the offer, but a player labelled as ronin P80L is for sale at savastore for £40, is that the same player? :)

2. brian t

brian t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have a ronin p80h i think the difference is the L version isnt progressive scan, if i was you i would buy one from ebayer they have the p80h in stock and its about the same price.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The Ronin model is normally the P80H and the AMW model is the P80L. They are basically the same player internally but the AMW looks nicer I think. They lack RGB scart output but have a ton of other features. The model was also available from Maplins recently as the Orbit P80H I think at £40 including VAT and postage or less if you use one of their vouchers.

4. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ah ok thanks, i will inwestigate some more :)

5. Davebar

Davebar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I think the P90H is the same as the P80 models but has karaoke added to its functionality. So it should have a mic socket or two and a mic level adjuster.

7. johnk

johnk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just received my P80L (from Simply - £39 + p&p) and it is the progressive scan model.

I must say I'm stunned by the quality. I only bought it as a cheap way of trying out prog scan for the first time. I wasn't building up any great hopes. But compared to an RGB feed from my (£200) Sony player, the P80L on prog scan wins hands down in terms of sharpness and smoothness of image (feeding an Hitachi TX10 projector). Not only that, but the build quality seems pretty good too.

At the moment, I'd say it's the most remarkable value for money I've ever encountered in AV kit (and I've bought a fair few bits of kit in my time). In fact the only reason I'm not planning to sell the Sony immediately is that it does SACD (the one thing that the P80L does not do). And I love my SACD discs.

But for anyone considering the P80L, particularly as a first experience of prog scan, I strongly recommend it.

One other thing worth mentioning - the image quality needed a lot of adjustment before it was at its best. Out of the box, the contrast (at the "zero" default setting) was absurdly high in my setup, and colours were a bit over-saturated. I'm sure I've read similar tales from others. So don't be put off at initial viewing.

JohnK

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    What I like best about the P80L is its super fast speed of operation. Its got a fast dvd drive and it shows. Also you can scan through mp3s to get to the bit you want easily. Main disappointment is DVD Audio compatibility is patchy and selective of discs. Yours might be a later model with a later firmware though and not have these problems. For the money though its an excellent little player.

9. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,783
    There is an AMW player (model no. P9C8) for sale at blankdiscshop

This is £32+p&p, don't know if thats an alternative