1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amtrak Plasma Courier

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Chuey, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Chuey

Chuey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Pioneer plasma delivered today! Yippeeee! :clap:

Just want to share a bit of experience with you all. To cut the long story short, I got a really good deal with Fenwick in Newcastle from threads in this forum. In order to get free delivery (and save 600 pounds delivery cost) from Newcastle is for Pioneer to deliver direct to a business address. Then I had to arrange for my own courier to transport it to home.

After seeing some commercial websites who use Amtrak to courier their plasmas, I decided to give them a try. When I helped the Amtrak driver to load the plasma into the van, he had no straps or other methods to tie the plasma to prevent it tilting or falling whilst in transit. The driver insists that he knew what he was doing and that he would not be going far to pick up more parcels to put into the van to secure the plasma.

There is a tilt watch sticker on the plasma box to indicate whether the plasma has tilted significantly. When the Amtrak courier arrived with my plasma today, the sticker had been ripped off the box, without any other damage to the box. :eek: Obviously, one of the drivers had taken it off intentionally to hide the fact that the plasma had tilted. :nono: There wasn't any point asking why it is no longer there because he would just deny all knowledge. So I immediately opened the box and inspected that the panel isn't broken. Luckily, the screen is fine and it works beautifully!!!

I must be lucky, otherwise that's 3k down the drain! I did confront the driver to find out whether Amtrak has any policy in transporting plasmas i.e. strapping it to the side of the van etc, but the answer is no. Most of you may never need to get your own courier to move the plasma from A to B, but if you do, think twice about the courier even if you do not want your plasma to move around in the van and risking it broken upon arrival. :lesson:

2. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    £600 Delivery! :eek:

3. offdigital

offdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What can go wrong if a plasma is tilted too much? I've always followed the warnings religiously (my precious.......), but can't help wondering why it's so important.

4. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    £600 delivery costs? Who was going to deliver it for you, Kylie Minogue?

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180865

Have a look near the bottom of the thread. :eek: :( Tilt is only really important during transport not that much of a biggie during use once the screen has been located into its final position.

S.

6. Chuey

Chuey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newcastle Fenwick would only deliver locally. As I live in London, they would have to get a dedicated van + driver. It's one pound per mile from Newcastle to London.....return! So the initial guesstimate was 600 pounds. Alternatively, I could have hired a van and collected it myself.

Then Fenwick offered free delivery if Pioneer could deliver to a business address (cannot deliver to a home address :confused: ) So I opted for that and was then going to arrange my own van or courier locally.

For the price Fenwick was going to deliver, I expect Kylie and Danni to come with the plasma! :D

7. offdigital

offdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Should have seen that really.