Amstrad v Samsung

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by adrianrash, Feb 3, 2009.

1. adrianrash

adrianrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Chaps,
    Just thought I give my review of these two boxes (Amstrad & Samsung) as I have had both. I had an Amstrad fitted on the 19th Dec and my thirst thoughts were that its quiet, goodish HD, no failed recordings, 70 signal strength etc. However i was not that convinced it was that sharp on SD. So after a month of playing with the settings i still thought that the SD could be better. So phoned Sky asked them if I could have new box (Samsung or Pace) and agreed to replace it. I had a Samsung fitted on 15th Jan and here's my thoughts

1) SD picture is 20-30% sharper with better colours
    2) HD picture improved the same 20%
    3) EPG is 50% faster
    4) Signal 100% of both feeds

I have it set to 1080i so don't get the delay in switching from SD to HD and its spot on

Cant fault it the Samsung is in no dout better than the Amstrad, I don't care if people say that the Amstrad is quiet my top 3 I want from a box are picture quality sd & hd, response ie EPG, 100% recordings. The box needs to be quiet but its not the top 3 maybe 4-5

hope it helps

2. peterace

peterace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't have experience of the Amstrad, but I had Sky HD installed two weeks ago - a Samsung box. So far I am delighted with the SD and HD quality, and the menus are very responsive. After reading some of the threads on this forum I was a little concerned about which box I received, and was hoping for an Amstrad, but the Samsung is great so I'm happy! I can hear the drive spinning sometimes, but only when the TV sound is muted so it's no problem at all.

One odd thing did happen, though. This morning all the channels reported no satellite signal. When I rebooted everything was fine. This is the first time in two weeks that that has happened. Has anyone else experienced that? I wonder how common it is, and how often I can expect it to happen?