Amstrad Sky+ picture quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gatecrasher3, Feb 5, 2009.

1. gatecrasher3

gatecrasher3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently had a new Sky+ installation as the subscription had run out on our existing box and it was starting to develop a couple of faults (which I now seem to have cured by reformatting the hard drive).

We were previously using a Thompson box, however the new one that has been fitted is an Amstrad unit. I asked the engineer if Amstrad were the only units they fitted and he said that the do get the odd Pace or Thompson boxes but they are few and far between.

Anyway I have noticed that with the Amstrad box the picture seems softer and less defined and also seems to suffer quite badly with pixelation.

I have reconnected the original Thompson box and it is definitely a better quality image, so the new dish and cabling has not caused an adverse effect.

I have spoken to Sky this evening to let them know that I am not happy with the equipment and requested that they replace the box with either a Thompson or Pace unit and they advised that while they can send an engineer out they cannot guarantee that he will be carrying a different box. I did point out that this could potentially be a waste of both mine and their time.

Has anybody else come across a similar issue with the Amstrad units or have I just fallen unlucky?

I don't want to commit myself to a 12 month contract with a box I am not 100% happy with.

So the options I have i either to cancel it or see if there is any way I can pair my viewing card with the old better quality Thompson unit. Does anyone know if that is even possible?

Anyway, sorry for the essay as a first post but any help is greatly appreciated.

2. tinytim

tinytim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I'm more than happy with the picture quality from my Amstrad Sky+ box to my 37" Samsung LCD TV.

You must enable RGB output & connect to an RGB enabled scart connection on the TV.

I do admittedly go through a Smart Scart box (4 in, 1 out) that does amplify the signal but even before that the PQ was fine.

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Just disconnect the Amstrad...reconnect the Thomson...insert your viewing card phone Sky and ask them to pair your card to a replacement box.

4. gatecrasher3

gatecrasher3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB is enabled and connected accordingly.

It is still noticeably inferior compared to the Thompson box.

5. jhazeldene

jhazeldene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've just connected a second hand Amstrad Sky+ to a Panasonic 37 inch SD plasma and the PQ is IMO slightly worse than my previous Panansonic box (I can see it, but luckily SWMBO can't). However the brand new Thomson box it replaced had the same lower PQ, whining hard drive and fan noise, which the Amstrad doesn't, so I guess you just have to be lucky with the box you get, regardless of make.
    John