Amstrad Sky + Boxes

adrian3221

Established Member
Reaction score
YIPPEE!!! I've just got Sky+ installed!!!
oh no. Its an Amstrad box. I'm scared to press any buttons on the thing in case it blows up. Anyone got any experience with this box? The Amstrad name doesnt exactly inspire confidence......

The early Amstrad digiboxes were not outstanding however the later two models have been as good as anyothers.
I expect the Amstrad sourced SKY+ to perform as well as the PACE models and not suffer from the "soft focus" that some version2 boxes do.

From the picture I've seen there seems to be more passive ventilation, can you confirm that there are slots in the top surface and not an optical illusion?

A bad reputation is easily gained and very hard to shift but the manufacturing facilites open to Amstrad will be state of the art and apart from the very high end AV gear components and designs are very much of a muchness:)
Don't worry about it.

Yeah, there is three ventilation blocks so that should prevent any overheating problems.

I just hope it's better than the original Amstrad digibox, which was nothing but a bag of bolts - fortunately, one of the Sky engineers who attended for a breakdown (one of many) agreed and managed to get me changed to a Panasonic.

There's a lot of discussion about this over on Digital Spy. Even has contributions from Sir Alan Sugar himself (allegedly!)

Dave

Hi,i just had SKY+ installed,upgraded package,and my new digibox is an Amstrad,it says V.3 in the setup box.The picture quality seems sharper,better than normal SKY,and i have had a little play and must say i am pleased with,so far ! I can confirm it does have the three sets of ventilation channels.

it was roumered that is would have a larger hard drive than the panasonic box is this the case?

what other features does it have that the panasonic box doesn't?

it looks exactly the same as the panasonic V2 boxes apart it looks like a mirror image all the buttons that were on one side are no on the other

Perhaps he knows a little secret:)
Panasonic would be a welcome edition to the fold and I wouldn't be surprised if a third manufacturer came online at some point.

Does anyone know who or where for that matter the Pace Sky+ boxes are manufactured?? I believe that Pace sub contract this work out and do not make then in house. My money would be far east but that is only a guess.

how do you check to see what size your hard drive is?
I have one of the new amstrad boxes just installed today... A little but miffed that the man had to drill yet another hole through the wall. I now have 3 holes and cables running outside :-( nevermind pictures is much better as discussed earlier.

Originally posted by robjohn
how do you check to see what size your hard drive is?
I have one of the new amstrad boxes just installed today... A little but miffed that the man had to drill yet another hole through the wall. I now have 3 holes and cables running outside :-( nevermind pictures is much better as discussed earlier.

Why three ???

i have a htpc in the same room with a sat card in it for HDTV :)

Originally posted by robjohn
i have a htpc in the same room with a sat card in it for HDTV :)

Very nice :smashin:

Hope to go a similar route in the near future although if SKY would annouce a HD channel or two you wouldn't see me for dust as I head to the nearest AV dealer.

Originally posted by Starburst
if SKY would annouce a HD channel or two you wouldn't see me for dust as I head to the nearest AV dealer.
One of my mates would say "if ifs and ands were pots and pans" but I have no idea what that means.

My line is "Only in your dreams", well for a good few years yet anyway.

StooMonster

Originally posted by StooMonster
One of my mates would say "if ifs and ands were pots and pans" but I have no idea what that means.

My line is "Only in your dreams", well for a good few years yet anyway.

StooMonster

Agreed.
SKY are now in profit and will use that money to pay off it's debt and keep the share holders happy. Their technical ability is miles ahead of cable and comfortable when compared to DTT however SKY do see hardware advancment as a subscriber generator above lowering subscription prices. More advanced HD units and multi decoder boxes are the obvious next step but there can be not doubt that with the ever increasing sales of Plasma and LCD panels the UK needs a HD source, one that will generate revenue for a broadcaster brave enough to risk a few million on such an endeavour:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom