Amstrad Sky+ box

StooMonster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As an alternative to Pace's v2 Sky+ box...

When's it out? What's it look like, what's the specs?

Will it fix problems that affect Pace v2: soft focus, 17 minute bug, etc.

Will it be possible to SDI mod it?

StooMonster

I can't wait if its Amstrads normal top end stuff! When will Sony or someone similar take up the challange. Actualy not Sony as they are a bit copyright orientated. Some one who puts 200 gig + drives in the box & an input to allow you to record DVDs oh & a built in DVD recorder, for archieving (copying), that should do it. Oh & extra drive bays to plug in extra drives. In fact a usb port for hot swapable external drives. Perhaps a freeview or analogue tunner as well, the list could go on. I like Sony, but they just don't seem to see copying the same as the rest of us!

StooMonster

Did you ever find out if a SDI mod is possible on the Amstrad box?

Gaz

Nope, was wondering that very thing myself.

StooMonster

New Boy here...

what's "SDI"?
Personally I'd like to see Panasonic bring out a SKY+ box.....

Originally posted by theroohster
New Boy here...

what's "SDI"?
Personally I'd like to see Panasonic bring out a SKY+ box.....

Have a bit of a search about the forums in general and particularly in the video processor section for SDI..... it stands for serial digital interface and is originally a broadcast interface and is currently used for high end after market mods for HT provinding so far the best performance when combined with capable equipment.

ad

what's "SDI"?

It stands for Serial Digital Interface and as the name suggests is a digital output mainly used in the professional market. You need a SDI equipped scaler/HCPC to use this connection; the main benefit is one less D/A conversion. In theory it should result in an improvement in picture quality.

This upgrade can only be carried out on Pace V1 Sky+ boxes at the moment.

Gaz

Originally posted by gazza982
It stands for Serial Digital Interface and as the name suggests is a digital output mainly used in the professional market. You need an SDI equipped scaler/HCPC to use this connection; the main benefit is one less D/A conversion. In theory it should result in an improvement in picture quality.

Gaz

ahha :D beat you to it!

SDI also has the benefit of one less colorspace conversion

Ad

ahha beat you to it!

You are too quick Buns.

There is a whole thread on digital spy about this box, I noticed StooMonster posted. Alan Sugar appears to be answering questions on this box.

That box looks remarkably similar to my pace box.....

Apparently sky want all their boxes to look the same but it does seem to use a different chipset etc. Will try and post a link before Buns. :laugh:

:D

I have to say I preferred the original box design..... to my eyes it looks better and more importantly, its size and weight make me feel much more confident!

ad

I have to say I preferred the original box design

Totally agree with you, but I can't find one. Elliot may get some but I need a backup.

Gaz

Totally agree with you, but I can't find one. Elliot may get some but I need a backup.

Gaz

They are tough to find these days, I just sold one and have one spare but it is unfortunately damaged. I think these are just basically all gone from everywhere..... of course, if the amstrad can be done then it becomes a moot point

ad

just sold one and have one spare but it is unfortunately damaged.

I take it you have another one to use with the Lumagen when it arrives?

I noticed StooMonster posted.
No one answered my SDI query about Sky+ v3 (Amstrad) though. :(

StooMonster

I take it you have another one to use with the Lumagen when it arrives?

Elliot has one for modding then there is the broken one and my current V2 box.... so I will at least have something to toy with when the lumagen appears.

Stoo.... you say V3 relating to the amstrad box..... is it actually an upgrade on the paces?

ad

Originally posted by StooMonster
No one answered my SDI query about Sky+ v3 (Amstrad) though. :(

StooMonster

Amstrad I suspect would have followed PACE's move to a more integrated chipset which saves money and would remove the abilty to add the SDI mod.
Might be worth dropping in to the DS forum and asking the man himself :)

Originally posted by buns
Stoo.... you say V3 relating to the amstrad box..... is it actually an upgrade on the paces?
Rightly or wrongly I am under impression that the same way Pace white box is refered to as V2 in the software the Amstrad is V3.

StooMonster

Is that the real Alan Sugar getting down and dirty and arguing with forumites?:eek:

If I had to money on it then I would say it was:)

It stands for Serial Digital Interface and as the name suggests is a digital output mainly used in the professional market. You need a SDI equipped scaler/HCPC to use this connection; the main benefit is one less D/A conversion. In theory it should result in an improvement in picture quality.

Gaz
Interesting...
Ive got a mk1 Pace box.
Presumably youd have to have a display with an SDI input, or are converters available? (My Panasonic only has VGA and component/RGB sockets)

Presumably youd have to have a display with an SDI input, or are converters available? (My Panasonic only has VGA and component/RGB sockets)

Yes, you will need a scaler with a SDI input. From what I've read a SDI input straight into a plasma isn't a good idea, even if any had a SDI input. This would involve another conversion which the plasma isn't optimised for.

No plasma Im aware of would take sdi anyhow..... sdi is only sending the interlaced signals so your display would have to have good processing even if it were able to handle the input. Gazza is spot on with the sdi enabled video processor, this is the only way we can use it with HC (hcpc considered as well in that).

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom