?AMSTRAD SKY+ BOX & RGB OUTPUT?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Bradford Blade, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hiya Guys,

Just got Sky+ installed yersterday ( :D ), and I initially connected the video feed via an S-Video/Scart, which provided damn good results. However, being a bit of a 'tweaker', I've attempted to connect via RGB Scart, but CANNOT get any RGB picture feed :confused:

Before someone suggests the obvious, I HAVE set the box to RGB output, and have also tried a couple of cables but neither makes any difference. I have a feeling there's a very simple solution, but in my defence ( :blush: ) I am new to all this and have zero idea how to resolve this weird problem. Can anyone out there help :lease:

My sincere thanks in advance.

All the very best,

LAGAVULIN

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Well the obvious question would be are you using a RGB scart on your TV to receive the RGB signal from the SKY+ box?

Another insulting question:)
    You did save the RGB setting before you exited the picture menu on the digibox?

3. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hi Starburst and thanks for your response...
    Yes, I've used an Ixos fully wired scart, but I originally used the QED Silver Reference exclusive RGB 'Squart', both of which I know work fine :confused:
    Why not ;)
    A simple answer to a simple question...yes. But to be fair, this is why I'm confused. I know the RGB input is performing fine (as I had my Xbox in it up to this a.m. and it played back in RGB without a hitch. Also, when you call up the on-screen info, it would actually state that it was receiving an RGB signal by displaying "RGB" in the top-left corner, but not such thing via the Amstrad box :confused: All I'm getting is composite (even when RGB is selected and saved in the set-up menu :confused: :confused: :confused:

However much I doubt it, could the box be at fault?

Any advice gratefully received!

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Sorry M8, if you've got the TV out scart on the box connected to an RGB compatible scart input on the TV, then it should work if you've selected RGB in the Sky settings menu. :confused:

5. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I had a similiar problem a while back after moving some of my kit ...

It turned out that I'd connected the TV to the 'VCR' scart on the Sky+ :blush: :blush: In my defence I assumed the topmost scart would be the TV one (V1 box)

Worth checking ?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    One thought: have you pressed the 'TV' button on the Sky handset? This makes Sky output a composite picture as opposed to RGB. Press the 'Sky' button to restore RGB output.

7. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Thanks, but one step ahead of ya mate. I've tried both scart sockets (even though I knew the VCR one wasn't supposed to output RGB). Still :confused:

Cheers though,

LAGAVULIN

8. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Cheers Rasczak,

I haven't tried this, nor did I know this happened when switching the keys. I'll try this and see if that cures the prob. Thanks :smashin:

LAGAVULIN

9. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hi to those who've replied to this odd prob.

Ok, while I wasn't paying too much attention (my kids were watching Nick Jnr on my dining room TV, the main set [PD30] not being on) my Amstrad box went into standby - no one had pressed any buttons etc. At first I thought this might have been to do with the box being too warm :confused: , but when rebooting and looking to see what had happened, I noticed in the 'Pic Settings' set-up menu, there were a number of additional selections that weren't there before (i.e. second TV 'RGB/Pal' out etc.,) :confused: :confused:

Could this have been some sort of update? Anyway, suddenly my main TV could get an RGB signal :confused: , which of course HADN'T been possible before. So, hey-presto, I have no notion to how this had happened, but at least the problem is solved.

But now I have another query, which I've addressed in a seperate thread.

Out of pure interest, if anyone knows what might have occured above, I'd appreciate some feedback. I'm totally confused as to what happened :zonked:

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The Amstrad SKY+ units should have been updated a few weeks ago but I suppose the updates might have been staggered although they are normally done overnight anyway.
    I suppose you should just be thankful it's all working now:)

11. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hi again Starburst,

Yes, when I ordered my Sky+ sub/install just over a week ago, I did some research and read about this. In fact, when my stuff was installed on Friday a.m. the installer looked into the box's factory date and finding it was around Feb '04 did a complete 'update' (pressing and holding the power-on and back-up buttons, I think :zonked: ). This - I was informed - should've fully included the new Amstrad update :confused: , so what happened yesterday evening, I have no idea?

But yeah, how right you are, I am content in the fact that it IS working now :thumbsup:

Best regards,

LAGAVULIN