Amstrad Sky+ Box Remote Control Code?

Eternal Renegad

Standard Member
Hi all, I'll try and keep this brief; my 91 year old mother has a Sky + box but due to failing eyesight is having trouble with the remote. My brother in the US sent over a Brookstone Big Button Universal Remote that should be programmable for just about anything it would appear. The first anomaly though is that it doesn't have the coloured buttons but this isn't really a problem ‘cos she just watches the TV full stop; no recording or anything else. Right, the booklet that comes with it has about 20 pages of device codes for TV's, DVD's, Video's, Cable and Sattelite receivers etc. I've tuned the TV in no problem but, as the Sky+ box is a UK Amstrad it's not listed so at the moment she can't control the Sky box with this remote. Does anyone know of a code or any kind of fix. From the look of Brookstones web site they just import stuff from China so I don't think contacting them will help.

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

Hi and welcome to AVF.
If you don't get that one working there are many equivalents on sale in the UK so you should be able to find an alternative that will control everything.

Eternal Renegad

Standard Member
Just spoke to sattelite experts and they say it is impossible to use anything other than the proper SKY remote to control SKY box's!

If that's so why the hell doesn't SKY make a Big Button remote available for poor sighted people?

Stevenage Neil

I don't know who these "experts" you spoke to were, (possibly Sky employees :laugh:), but that is absolute codswallop!

Any programmable remote will work.

Stevenage Neil

"Programmable" means you programme it yourself using the original remote, not using the device's inbuilt programme.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Have you tried the codes listed in the booklet for Satellite receivers?
Try any listed for Grundig, Panasonic, Pace, Sony etc.

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

logiciel

Just spoke to sattelite experts and they say it is impossible to use anything other than the proper SKY remote to control SKY box's!
As SN says those "experts" gave you total nonsense, and I'd be interested to know who they were!
Any universal remote control will control a Sky receiver.
All that are sold in the UK have the Sky commands built in, or in the software that sets them up.
Others can have the commands "learned" to them - which should be the first thing to check on for yours.

Eternal Renegad

Standard Member
As I said, this device came from the States.

How do I 'learn' the new programme into this one?

As SN says those "experts" gave you total nonsense, and I'd be interested to know who they were!
Any universal remote control will control a Sky receiver.
All that are sold in the UK have the Sky commands built in, or in the software that sets them up.
Others can have the commands "learned" to them - which should be the first thing to check on for yours.

logiciel

Remote controls that can "learn" do it one command at a time. You point the original remote at the universal, send the command, and the universal "learns" it. As I said in my previous post the first thing to do is to find out whether this universal CAN do the "learning" process - and of course, if so, how.
Large button remotes don't cost much, and you'd find a wide choice of UK models, ready to use with Sky receivers.

Last edited:

Eternal Renegad

Standard Member
OK so back to your original reply:-

"All that are sold in the UK have the Sky commands built in, or in the software that sets them up."
This wasn't bought in the UK.
Maplins say their Big Button, which is the same one available in many other shops, is NOT programable for Sky boxes.

"Others can have the commands "learned" to them - which should be the first thing to check on for yours."
This one can't learn like that.

"Any universal remote control will control a Sky receiver."
How?

"Large button remotes don't cost much, and you'd find a wide choice of UK models, ready to use with Sky receivers. "

Having looked at many large button remotes on the market this one was chosen for it's layout and ergonomics.

You're all saying "Any Programmable Remote Will Work". HOW???

So it's back to my original question, does anyone have any codes for Amstrad Sky + boxes???
Just maybe the people that told me are right - unless you have a 'face to face' programable it CAN'T be done 'cos no-one has the codes?

Remote controls that can "learn" do it one command at a time. You point the original remote at the universal, send the command, and the universal "learns " it. As I said in my previous post the first thing to do is to find out whether this universal CAN do the "learning" process - and of course, if so, how.
Large button remotes don't cost much, and you'd find a wide choice of UK models, ready to use with Sky receivers.

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
All Sky boxes manufactured by different companies use the same remote.
As you've already stated your mum doesn't use the box for recording etc that suggests all she'll require is channel change and on-off control so did you try my advice re trying codes listed for Panasonic, Pace, Samsung satellite receivers?

logiciel

I know yours wasn't bought in the UK.

Maplin are missing out on a lot of customers them, by not selling any of the many large button remotes that DO work with Sky receivers.

Not all universal remotes do the "learning" process, so yours is not unusual.

Universal remotes control Sky receivers the way they control any device, each make and model with its own way of doing it.

Here's one of many large button remotes currently on sale and specified to work with Sky receivers: Sky Control Extra Large Buttons.

Universal remotes will work, by whatever method of setting them up applies in each case. A typical method is to look up the type, make, and model number, of the device in their manual and enter the corresponding code number into the remote by following the instructions.

If your remote will take any of the codes for the various makes of Sky receiver then try them. As JayCee says, they all use the same commands.

Last edited:

Eternal Renegad

Standard Member
Yes that's something I was going to try but it strikes me that the code could just be the 'number of the house in the UK but not neccessarily who lives the' and by the same token the US codes could be the same house number but in the US where someone completely different lives, to simplify things. But at least I guess if I try all the nos. from 001 to 999 and none work, nothing will work; but awefully tedious.

All Sky boxes manufactured by different companies use the same remote.
As you've already stated your mum doesn't use the box for recording etc that suggests all she'll require is channel change and on-off control so did you try my advice re trying codes listed for Panasonic, Pace, Samsung satellite receivers?

Eternal Renegad

Standard Member
So it would appear that as no-one can actually advise me as to how to get this 'programable remote' to work with the SKY+ box the professional who told me it's no possible was right?

The remote logiciel mentioned will only work on basic SKY boxes not the SKY+.

So it would appear that as no-one can actually advise me as to how to get this 'programable remote' to work with the SKY+ box the professional who told me it's no possible was right?

As with a lot of AV equipment sold to the US market it would appear that the remote is really only suitable for equipment sold in North America. Have you actually tried to contact the manufacturers of the remote to see whether they know the correct codes as this would seem to be the most logical thing to do instead of asking on forums such as this where it is highly unlikely anyone else would have purchased such a device from the US?

Also it would be worth contacting Sky on their own user help forum as there are probably quite a few people with similar problems to yours and at present the only two "accessibility" remotes that they do provide free for the disabled do not have large buttons but merely raised buttons and easy grip options. Try here http://helpforum.sky.com/ but you may have to register with your relatives account details if you do not have a Sky account yourself.

Last edited:

logiciel

I'm not saying that is not the case, but if it is how do you know?
In any case there must be others like it, that do control Sky+ receivers.

logiciel

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett