Amstrad PVR3 woes (yes, another person)

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by chris1210, Oct 22, 2005.

1. chris1210

chris1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Got my Sky+ Multiroom installed 3 weeks ago.... at the time i didnt bother whinging on to the engineer/sky about getting a non-amstrad box as i didnt think it would matter.. ha!! :(

In that time ive had over a dozen 'Failed' recordings

The box has got itself stuck in standby quite a few times

It gets noisy at random points when recording 2 programs (grinding noise)

And today to top it off, when i go to my planner, it shows the first programme as 'Failed' but no program info...... yet i know it was recorded cos i watched it and its been there over a week.... it just seems to have corrupted itself!

Not only that, but as soon as i enter the planner, the box freezes..... and about 20 secs later, i get a black screen with random green lines flashing... great!

So yes, a call to Sky is on the way... a good chance to return box and request a Pace one??

2. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm glad to say I've had none of the above probs since having mine fitted (for £65) on Tuesday. It ticks like a timebomb though which means a call to sky soon :mad:

Cheers,

Simon

3. nhart

nhart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

I have an Amstrad unit (for Sky +) and have not had a problem. In fact, I had 3 Pace units which all had to be replaced before I insisted on the Amstrad unit.

Not many folk on the Forum seem to like the Amstrad but I am still awaiting some kind of techy explanation about what makes the Pace superior.

My Amstrad also has a noisy hard drive but you get used to it after a while. at least it works!

NH

4. slowhand

slowhand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my Sky+ box installed on Monday.
    I actually asked the Sky engineer what kind of box I was getting, and he said he thought it was a Thomson (he hadn't checked it at this point). Anyway, while I was trying to keep my 2 year-old amused, and the engineer finished up, the Thomson had turned into an Amstrad. :mad:

First thing I did was turn of the 'Rewind' feature - this stopped the ticking during normal viewing, and I'm not convinced I'll miss it.

If you're trying to watch the TV while recording, the ticking is quite obtrusive. Don't know if I'll just get used to it over time.
    Playing back recorded stuff is fine - just the normal gentle hum.

I did have to repostion the box though, as it was originally on top of my VCR on a shelf beneath the TV, and there was only 1/2 inch or so gap above it. When the fan kicked in it sounded like a Zanussi on spin-cycle :eek:
    Put it on it's own shelf and it's seems a lot cooler now.

Has anyone successfully swapped an Amstrad for a Thomson box, and are they noticably less 'ticky' ?

5. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ditto my Thomson strangely turned into an Amstrad by the end of the install. My Amstrad ticks like a bomb too - engineer is coming 'to look at it' on Sat

6. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Yay! got my amstrad box 3 days ago and i've had no probs at all, unless you count:

1. Resetting its self.
    2. Swithcing its self on.
    3. Failed recordings.
    4. slow response with channels.
    5. unable to play recordings, sometimes.
    6. Unable to resume live pause - sometimes.
    7. Trying to get ahold of sky customer care.

so new box enroute arriving wed.

Don't care what make really so long as it works.

7. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pace version 3, less than 3 months old, bought online as Sky couldn't guarantee which box I would have. Sky did a software update about two months ago and this has caused havoc for a lot of us, myself included. Mine worked perfectly before the update but I have had the same problems as Chris and FishDUDE.. I find the failed recordings the most irritating, and the pause problem, often no satellite signal, etc. I could go on forever.

There are a lot of threads on this Sky forum on the same subject. Sky are meant to be working on an update to solve the problems caused by the previous update!

Whatever the make of the Sky+ box, most of them are having problems. I have had Sky+ for three years and have never had problems like this. Let's hope the new update works o.k.!!!!

8. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    yeah it really is a poor show on skys part, but I don't think my box has the new update as the help button don't work and the menus the old colour scheme.

9. thomo99

thomo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well ive had an amstrad box for 2 months, ticks a little if you get your head down on the box, who does??

top picture on a quality RGB lead and great sounf through quality fibre optic lead, happy days, for now

10. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    had an 'enginer' out last week all he did was force an update. worked great for ohh 24 hours now doing the same thing.

another sky dude comming inabout an hour to swap box.

if this continues i'll cancel sky+ still got 6 days to do so!

11. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    got a thompson now....seems much more quiet and faster (not much) changing channels.