Amstrad pvr3... guess it had to be someone.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by smokingreen, Oct 18, 2005.

1. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi there, I got sky+ installed yesterday and found to my horror that I had an Amstrad box (pvr3) installed, I had asked Sky to give me a pace or thompson but they said they could gaurantee it. Apparantly the installers did not have any other type of boxes with them (I was not personally home), and also all the boxes are exactly the same on the inside anyway!!

Ok, well for now it has actually worked ok all the functions seem to operate ie live pause and programs record, but what can I do about the constant clicking?!

Is it the hard drive or some old valve technology they're using? If it is the hdd then can this clicking probolem be solved by replacing it with another larger drive? If this is the case can a 250Gb drive go into it leaving me 170Gb free to record?

Sorry for all the questions - just a bit annoyed after witing 2.5weeks and reading how bad the Amstrads are, I ended up with one!!! And also that clicking will drive me mad - who at Amstrad said: "Yeah, thats ok - no one will notice it its only in peoples living rooms, if they do they will probably find it soothing....". Idiot.

2. Homerr

Homerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I had Sky+ installed yesterday after waiting a week, reading all of these horror stories on the Amstrad boxes at DigitalSpy and here made me think "ooohh crap" and then what do the installers turn up with? Tickstrad!

*tick tick tick tick*

Sitting next to me ticking away but it could be a hell of a lot worse than it is.

3. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quite like ours, poor-maligned thing, don't notice any noise now.

I turned off the auto-rewind feature as I never thought I would use it (and haven't missed it) so it doesn't make any noise at all unless recording.

If they have just supplied it and you can't stand the noise you can insist they replace it as it is not suitable for its purpose as required by the Sale of Goods Act - threaten to report them to Trading Standards if they don't replace it.

4. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the replies. I do think soemtimes that reading forums and getting 'well informed' is not always such a good idea. If I hadnt bothered, and I just got Sky+ and got this box I would probably be thrilled and just get used to the noise!

Does anybody have any info or experience in upgrading the hdd on these boxes? I had always planned on dropping a 250Gb drive in at some pint in the not too distant future...

5. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just had mine fitted, despite promises, an Amstrad that ticks like a timebomb :mad:

I'll give it a few days & see if it settles down, otherwise will be on to Sky to get it changed!

Why do they lie??

Cheers,

Simon

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Coz they've got warehouses full of Amstrad ones and they want to shift them ;)

"Don't have any of them on the van" is stock answer, and heard for years; but asking "can we go and check, you may have missed a {brand} one" can sometimes produce the right result.

StooMonster

7. BigScreenAl

BigScreenAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just installed a 250GB Samsung and all seems well so far (see link http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267749). I did have to disconnect the fan after installation though as it was on constantly, even in standby!? Without the fan running the unit is now silent! The box stays cooler than my 4 year old Panasonic Sky digibox too even during recording.

8. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the Shamstrad installed the a week ago Tuesday. It ticked like a timebomb. I rang Sky and threatened to cancel as for me the ticking was far to instrusive. They changed it Friday for a Thomson...which is as quiet as a mouse. So they will do it.

BTW, phone wasn't working all day today. When I got home I unplugged the line from the Sky+ box and voila its back on...Can't take any more of this

9. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    Got 2 Amstrad boxes installed yesterday! - Both ticking like crazy - really noticeable - even sitting 8 feet away in the lounge - will be calling Sky to ask for replacements - shame 'cause without the instant rewind facility turned on they run pretty quiet!

Just hope that the alternative boxes don't have major faults - can anyone comment!?

*Quick Update* Sky have reconfirmed the 'software upgrade' around the middle of this month. Won't change my boxes until after this time - they are convinced the upgrade will reduce/stop the ticking - we shall see!! :confused: