Amstrad DRX890

Toony11

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have brought this sky+ HD box from my mother. I was wondering if I can use my current card to see if the box is ok, or is my card registered to my original Samsung box therefore not being able to work on the Amstrad?

Have you tried it?

Without pairing the card to the box you will not be able to view premium channels.

You don't need a card to "see if the box is ok".
Connect it up and if you can see the free channels it's OK.

Yes Ive tried it and it seems to be fine. Im not gonna pair the card as may use it for a multiroom or just a digital reciever in my kitchen. Am I right in saying that the recording option is not available unless you have a sky+ sub?

Am I right in saying that the recording option is not available unless you have a sky+ sub?

Any kind of sub on the card in he box.

There is no card at all for the box I bought. The only card i have is the card for my samsung which has Sky World or whatever it's called nowadays? :laugh:

There is no card at all for the box I bought.

Therefore you will have no Sky+ functionality.

Quite frankly, if you have a terrestrial aerial and your TV has built in Freeview, why not just live with Freeview? At the very least you will get the correct regionalisation for BBC and ITV for your area. (Not to mention the cost of supplying a satellite feed to the kitchen)

Last edited:
my samsung which has Sky World
As you have a subscription and an old machine, Sky would have given you a new Sky - formerly Amstrad - 890 PVR.
You could use the one you have now either for the free channels or for multiroom at £10 a month, but either way you'll need a connection for it from the dish.

I dont want to sound daft but I cant see on that thread that they replace Samsung boxes, its all Thompson boxes? :-(

There are too many posts for me to check but I'd be surprised if they refer to only one make.
The point is that you can do no harm by asking, no matter what machine you have - and if necessary asking again - because Polite Persistence Pays.

I don't want to sound daft, but I can't see on that thread that they replace Samsung boxes, it's all Thompson boxes? :-(

Remember it's in their interest to keep subscribers, especially those on the top tier like yourself.

I pay over £100/month, so they'd be crazy to lose me if my Samsung started playing up.

Of course, you might get a Sky agent who's plain stupid :)eek:), so that's where the Forum motto PPP comes into play.

Good luck. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom