Amstrad DRX890 system reset help

andysmeg

Standard Member
I need to do a system reset of my Amstrad DRX890 Sky+ HD box. The instructions are to hold down the left and right arrows on the box whilst plugging it in. The left and right buttons are actually the same circular button so holding left and right down also hold in up and down. Any ideas?
I can't get a picture so can't do it via the menu system.
Cheers

logiciel

You can't have had it long. Whatever's wrong with it get Sky to fix it.

andysmeg

Standard Member
Sky are replacing the box next Monday and I've borrowed a friend's Sky+ box in the meantime. It's the puzzle of how to do a system reset I want to solve now.

There are 2 rings around the select button. The outer ring consists of 4 seperate buttons which consist of power, backup, tv guide & info. The inner ring is the arrows but it's one big button so you can press left or right - not both at the same time (unless I'm being a pleb!)

logiciel

They're taking their time, aren't they?;)
Where did you find those instructions?
You don't need a picture to use the menu system.
Post # 8 at System Reset gives the details of how to do it.

andysmeg

Standard Member
They are indeed taking their time :mad:

I've tried the 1st and 3rd steps but to no avail!
What I'm trying to achieve is the hard system reset:
switch off at the wall and then hold the left and right directional buttons on the front panel.. switch back on and wait until the large green cirle goes green... when it does (it will start flashing).. hit the select button the front panel.. the green circle will go backwards for a few minutes.

It will then go into standby mode.. leave two mins and then you're good to go...

This is the bit I'm having issues :rolleyes: left and right directional buttons on the front panel

logiciel

The reason for my second question was that they tell you to "hold down the left and right arrows on the box whilst plugging it in" and we know that you can't do that because "the left and right buttons are actually the same circular button", so it's nonsense.
So where did the instructions come from, and can't you find some other instructions that do make sense?

andysmeg

Standard Member
Those instructions seem to be 'the' instructions for resetting your box if you can't see the screen/menu. Loads of forums mention those steps.

I've searched for instructions for my model of box in case it's box specific but nothing so far.

logiciel

That's quite an assumption - andysmeg, have you tried it on the link I gave, or not?
And again "where did the instructions <the ones you've been trying> come from"?

andysmeg

Standard Member
logiciel - I've tried the following from your link:

First - try a "power reset" - switch off at mains, wait 30 seconds or so and switch back on. Done this. No change

Second - try a "Sky+ planner rebuild" - "Services" "0" "0" "1" "Select" takes you to the "hidden installers menus" - then under "rebuild" press "down" and then "Select" Can't do this as I can't turn on Sky so can't see any menus.

Third - try a forced software download - Switch off at mains, press and hold down "backup" button on the box and switch back on at mains, continue holding down "backup" button until you see either onscreen message or four leds light up on box front, go and make a cuppa download can take up to 15 minutes.Done this. The Please Wait downloading software message appears but flickers constantly.

I have searched online over the past 24 hours and have found several websites that suggest the system reset that I have tried. I have done this procedure a couple of years ago when my last box was knackered.

stuckinstandby - I hadn't thought of taking the case off and pressing the buttons that way. I have now done that and have performed a system reset - and failed.

The hard drive is knackered. I can hear it 'ticking' constantly. I'll just have to wait for Saturday for Mr Sky man.

Thanks to you both for your input :smashin::smashin:

Just one example of a link I've been using: how to hard reset (format) you sky + box from the front panel..

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

Ah, right - you said about not getting a picture but actually you weren't seeing anything at all, for his second method.
You got the Sky guy advanced the two days then?

logiciel

Obviously.;)
The example must have been for a different model, one with separate left and right buttons.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom