amstrad drx780uk linux

vindi93

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi i have an amstrad drx780uk box, bought it second hand so i could use to it to view the FTA channels as the terestrial freeview is abit dodgy where i live. The problem is i cant record with it, if you try it just says contact sky.
I dont want to pay silly amounts to sky for the priviledge of recording. i wondered if any one has managed to scrap the original OS on the box and load something different on it in order to be able to record??? i have tried searching but all i can find is some threads which are old.

Any help cheers

No chance mate.

You can either pay Sky £10 a month for recording or sell it and buy another more useful receiver. A Freesat receiver will give you the same features, eg full EPG and series links. Have a look at the Humax Foxsat HDR.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Linux doesn't come into this but assuming that the "box" is a Sky PVR you can only use it to record by paying to Sky.
As kevkbuk says a Freesat machine is a better option and here they all are: freesat+ HD TV recorder - freesat.
HTH - Logi

Last edited:
thanks for the replys, i think i will just take out the 300gb sata drive and use it for something else, i did have another thought of using the case and building a sat reciever into it using an mini itx board, abit of bodging but would make a nice media server case.

At the present prices for drives that's probably a good idea.:thumbsup:

do i need a dvb-s2 card or will a dvb-s suffice??

iF YOU ONLY WANT SD channels then a DVB-S board will be fine, if you want HD channels then you will need a DVB-S2 board.

Roland

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom