• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amstrad DRX780UK as a replacemnt for Thompson

TheBlueRaja

Established Member
Hi All,
I've had a Amstrad DRX780UK for a few days now after having my Thompson Sky HD box replaced from Sky due to it continuously failing (came in a brown box which i assume is a refurb).

However i've noticed a definite drop in PQ for SD material and wondered if i complained if i would be likely get anywhere with it.

The HD quality is excellent however its just the SD quality that sucks, ive tried switching to Auto but this makes the EPG look soft and not sharp at all plus i think the SD quality looks worse in this mode.

Saying all that though - so far - there hasn't been any other issue with the box.

Should i complain or put up and shut up :)

Last edited:

Restorer

Prominent Member
Hi All,
I've had a Amstrad DRX780UK for a few days now after having my Thompson Sky HD box replaced from Sky due to it continuously failing (came in a brown box which i assume is a refurb).

However i've noticed a definite drop in PQ for SD material and wondered if i complained if i would be likely get anywhere with it.

The HD quality is excellent however its just the SD quality that sucks, ive tried switching to Auto but this makes the EPG look soft and not sharp at all plus i think the SD quality looks worse in this mode.

Saying all that though - so far - there hasn't been any other issue with the box.

Should i complain or put up and shut up :)

Trouble is, unless it has a fault, you have to accept whatever they give you. Apart from the dodgy capacitors in the PSU, the Thomson is an excellent box. If you still have yours, you can get a PSU replacement board for around £30 net.

TheBlueRaja

Established Member
Trouble is, unless it has a fault, you have to accept whatever they give you. Apart from the dodgy capacitors in the PSU, the Thomson is an excellent box. If you still have yours, you can get a PSU replacement board for around £30 net.

Nah - he took it with him, but i had tried that anyway and it didnt help - the box was goosed.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom