Amstrad box with vertical bands

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bgcm12, Dec 1, 2004.

1. bgcm12

bgcm12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Just got a new Sky+ install with an Amstrad box. My Sky picture has very faint, thin vertical bands across the screen. These are noticable most on the blue screen when changing channels, or any screen with a block of colour and most annoyingly on the footy.

A wise man (Starburst) told me that this could be a problem with the Amstrad box.

Does anyone else have this problem?
    What did you do about it?
    Is it possible to ask Sky to exchange the Amstrad box for a Pace box?

Thanks all.

2. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi mate,
    Are you connected via scart or with RF connections? :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dishdoc

3. bgcm12

bgcm12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB Scart - just using the scart lead that came with the Sky+ box. Was thinking about buying an expensive one and seeing if that makes any difference.

Cheers

4. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    VERY VERY VERY UNHAPPY

Got Sky+ installed today got same lines. IT IS NOT a scart cable problem. Tried S video as well same problem and 3 different scart cables. Sadly I couldnt get the morning off work and they came in morning typical, if i had been there wouldnt have let the engineer leave, i'm fuming. My old thomson digital box did not have this problem.

It is an Amstrad sky+ box

I've gone from a good product (Thomson digi box) to an inferior one as far as i'm concerned. NOT very happy.

To add insult to injury have phoned Sky Customer services twice, once at 2.15pm and at 4.30 p.m, both times they told me that they had contacted the engineer who came this morning and he would be coming back this afternoon to have a look, he was meant to ring me within 30 mins. Never got a call, am still waiting.

VERY VERY UNHAPPY

5. bgcm12

bgcm12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Called Sky tonight to complain about the vertical lines.

I am getting an engineer out on Friday, I said that i wanted them to bring a Pace box as a replacement and the support said that the engineer always carries "a spare box" and to be pinickety abou the installation... I WILL!!!

I will let you know the results of the new box, whether it is a replacement Amstrad or a Pace, and whether it improves matters. :rolleyes:

6. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    SNAP, got an engineer coming out on friday too, made a slight mistake early, my wavy lines are horizontal, filmed A time to kill on sky tonight, shows the problem very well.

I didnt demand a pace box, but reading on the forums, it you get one it will be a refurbed unit, so does that mean that was faulty at one point, also feel its not right having to settle for a refurb 2 days after getting it installed...... but if it cures the problem might be worth it

7. simoncha

simoncha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, Amstrad Sky+ installed yesterday. I've got moving bands of cross-hatching when connected via s-video & faint, grainy vertical bands when using scart. Signal strength is about 80% and signal quality 40-50%. It's certainly worse than the Amstrad Sky digital box it's replacing. Probably give Sky a call today but I too am a little concerned about a refurbed replacement.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If Sky are not co-operative, have a word with your local Trading Standards Department. Sky are subject to the Sale of Goods Act, just like all other retailers, and the goods they supply have to be fit for the purpose. You must contact Sky within 7 days and tell them that you are rejecting the box under the Sale of Goods Act, and demand a working replacement or a refund.

9. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I too had the vertical white lines on my Sky digibox (not Sky+) after the repair man replaced my Panny box with Amstrad. I have since then had the Sky repair man back twice and both times the white lines remained after I tested when I got home. Very annoying.
    On the latest visit I asked if they could make sure the repair man had anything but an Amstrad box to replace my unit with but the Sky service team said they could not do this. So, lo and behold, the only box the 'engineer' had was Amstrad and yes it did show lines which I showed him as I stayed home from work especially.
    He then proceeded to test with his own Panasonic box and sure enough the lines were not there! He then tried phoning his mates who all only had Amstrad crap quality units :mad:
    So I was left with the Amstrad and white lines and knowing that I may never get rid of them unless I am lucky and I call out an engineer who happens to have something else in his van.
    So, I have cancelled the repair contract and bought a new Pace digibox from eBay (£99 instead of normal £145) and installed it Monday.
    My Sky picture is now vertical lines free and in fact a much better picture than the Amstrad and also faster response than the Amstrad so I am well happy :thumbsup:

EDIT: By the way I tested to make sure it was not my SCART cables or TV by using the RF connection which I know is poorer quality but still it showed the vertical white lines on Sky sports mainly.
    Another test is to use Sky news active when you press teh red button. You will also see diagonal black patterns appearing on the blue background. This is due to the Amstrad box also as with the Pace box they have now dissappeared.

10. jasonbosley

jasonbosley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bgcm12, corh5 how did the service call go ? Did you get a Pace box and did the lines go ? I have the same problem. Had a service call in the week. The guy said the lines were very faint and "You'll never get a 100% good picture" !! He swapped the box (another Amstrad) and the lines were worse ! I'm confused, i've read other posts about cheaper scarts being a problem, retuning RF channel etc a whilst the lines are better on blocks of colour the lines are visable.

11. stevestarr13

stevestarr13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the cheaper scart thing is crap, I am using QED Squart and still got them on both amstrad boxes I had, 3rd box pace is perfect. It may have been a refurb but picture/sound are much better and at least so far it's lasted lnger than the amstrad boxes, week each before hd failure

12. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yes the SCART excuse is crap. Even if you feed the tuner signal from the Amstrad box into your TV you will still see the lines!