Amstrad Banding

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by thejudge, May 18, 2005.

1. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the known vertical/Horizontal banding problems on Amstrad Sky+ boxes a software or a hardware problem? If its a hardware problem i'm gonna get a service engineer out ASAP as it's driving me up the wall. I have horizontal banding but as of yet no vertical banding. My box is connected via RGB Scart to my TV and Upstairs to my 14" portable via the RF output ( Banding still visible via RF output! )

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Very likely to be a hardware problem with a software patch to compensate where possible (like Hubble).

If you have problems with your SKY+ then certainly get a warranty call out, SKY are not generous outside of the warranty period so make sure you make the most of it whenever there is a problem.

3. Black20VT

Black20VT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Now I've read about the banding, I noticed it last night!

It's not as bad as I think some people have it, but it's there, especially when it's darker.

I think I'm going to give Sky another call tonight and try for a Pace, as according to the poll, it's a firm favourite.

4. Black20VT

Black20VT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I've just called Sky and they have booked an engineer for Sunday. The banding isn't very visible during the day and not 'too' bad at night, but it is there and during dark scenes is visible, so I think it's going to be hard to demostrate to the engineer.

Any tips on demoing and also any tips on trying to blag a Pace V2?

5. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only notice my horizontal banding where light scenes are........... have you any experience of this?

6. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,958
    I think a lot of people have noticed the bandings on green colours so it might be worth recording a few things where you think the problem may happen and use these to demo the problem to the engineer.

7. Black20VT

Black20VT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I had a Sky engineer come out on Sunday and confirmed that my picture quality was terrible. Unfortunately, he didn't have any spare boxes on his van, so we contacted Sky and requested a new box. So another engineer booked for yesterday.

The engineer came out yesterday and with any questioning, changed my box over to a brand new Pace V2 as I was still within 90 days or something, so didn't get a refurb.

Initial impressions was that the picture appeared grainy, almost too sharp. So, I adjusted the sharpness on my Panasonic TV and now things look much nicer! The machine seems much more responsive to the remote and quicker changing selections etc, so all in all, much happier.

:clap:

Thanks to this forum, I now hopefully have a better Sky+ machine :thumbsup: