Amstrad 1TB remote - issues with AMP

Scapegoat

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Got the new Amstrad box and dark grey remote.

Was looking up the codes for the TV and AMP again, and found that to test the AMP can 'punch through' you press 'TV', then holde 'select' and '1' and the L.E.D. should flash twice after a few seconds, if it flashes once the remote will not allow it.

Mine flashes once. Anyone else? Seems a backward step from the previous HD remote.

Scapegoat, you should press the SKY button, then hold Select + 1 down to force the punch through.

Your new remote (which I assume is Rev 8R) will work this way. Mine did tonight.

Whats punch thro? Does it only work via HDMI?

Scapegoat, you should press the SKY button, then hold Select + 1 down to force the punch through.

Your new remote (which I assume is Rev 8R) will work this way. Mine did tonight.

Removing the back cover indicates its a Rev8 version - as is my older HD remote (in Silver not the new black/dark grey).

However doing the above generates a single LED blink on the new one, but a double blink on the old one.

Red somewhere on another site, that it it only blinks once it will not work.

Anyone got a new version that does flash the LED twice on the above instruction that doesn't need the 'punch through' functionality i.e. does not use a separate AMP for sound, willing to swap?

I'd post first and pay the postage costs of the other unit back?

Whats punch thro? Does it only work via HDMI?
In this sense, at a guess, it means the Sky remote's volume and mute buttons control the amp and not the TV.
HDMI or not wouldn't come into it.

Just posted a new thread on this.....anyone got the new remote working with the punch through yet?
I have a Denon amp (AVR-1610).

My understanding is that some new black remotes have the 'punch through' capability as I have read posts from people who have got it working.

Sadly mine does not work, and I presume that it is faulty.

OK, did you try pressing the sky button instead of the TV button prior to select+1?
Did you try/use Denon code 1388 for the punch through?

Also whats this revision 8 and 8R thats reported above for seemkingly what should be the same remotes?

OK, did you try pressing the sky button instead of the TV button prior to select+1?
Did you try/use Denon code 1388 for the punch through?

Also whats this revision 8 and 8R thats reported above for seemkingly what should be the same remotes?

Punch through capability test:

Press TV button
Hold Select and 1 buttons

See how many times the LED flashes.

If it only flashes once, then you cannot control the volume of the AMP whilst the remote is in SKY mode.

As this is the case for me, then I didn't bother trying to get the new remote to work the AMP as it wouldn't do this function.

But did you actually try to program it?

ie
tv
select+0
enter code
select+1

But did you actually try to program it?

ie
tv
select+0
enter code
select+1

No. But I did get it to control the Sony TV ok, but as soon as it wouldn't do the punch through process I gave up.

I can have a go tonight to see if it will control the AMP in "TV mode" if you like.

1388 works for my AMP.

When in the 'Sky' mode, the volume control on the remote controls the Sony tv.
When in 'TV' mode, the Left arrow controls the Amp on/off, Right arrow mutes it, up/down arrow controls volume.

However - it means I cannot control the AMP volume without pressing TV mode. My old remote will control the AMP volume in 'Sky' mode due to the punch through. As I use the Amp 100% of the time for sound and have the TV at 0 volume, the old remote is better for me.

So it is recognising the code 1388 as correct just not letting you do subsequently do TV -> select+1 -> Sky button to allow punch through to make the volume controllable by the volume button in Sky mode?

If so thats pretty odd.

Have you tried to delete the code by doing a select+2 and re-input it again?

So it is recognising the code 1388 as correct just not letting you do subsequently do TV -> select+1 -> Sky button to allow punch through to make the volume controllable by the volume button in Sky mode?

If so thats pretty odd.

Have you tried to delete the code by doing a select+2 and re-input it again?

Absolutely correct.

If you google Sky Amp codes it takes you to Morlocks page, and at the bottom in gives you the instructions to test the punch through capability.

Mine fails the test.

On here and Digitalspy there are no others reporting the same issue, so it seems to just be mine.

I have posted on both sites asking anyone with the new remote that doesn't use the punchthrough would be willing to swap, but no joy.

Cannot even find another one for sale on the web / ebay either.

Well i hope it wont make 2 of us shortly! lol

Like you i use my amp+5.1 setup for all audio so this is a must, i've been using it for years since it first appeared on Digitalspy.

Why don't you guys just use the old remote that does do this trick for you?
Anyway my new black one is still unused in its bag so I'll unearth it and see what it does and one of you can have it if it does what you want.

I've not got mine yet so mine might work ok....it only seems to be Scapegoat with the issue as yet.

Why don't you guys just use the old remote that does do this trick for you?
Anyway my new black one is still unused in its bag so I'll unearth it and see what it does and one of you can have it if it does what you want.

Many thanks for checking yours out - but sadly it didn't work either.

2 new black remotes that don't punch through now

im loving my new 1tb box but i still cant get 5.1 over hdmi, wots that all about??

im loving my new 1tb box but i still cant get 5.1 over hdmi, wots that all about??

A differet topic?

Still need optical on new box - doesn't bother me but some people want or need it. Sky innovation is slow at times e.g. Not being wifi etc

Unfortunately it didn't work, Scapegoat, unless someone has a code for Onky that I could try to force.
dmk1198 - it isn't about anything - what made you think the 1.5tB would be any different about 5:1 audio?

Last edited:
why don't you try forcing the denon code 1388 and the light flashes will tell you if it works or not?

Unfortunately it didn't work, Scapegoat, unless someone has a code for Onky that I could try to force.

You could try 0468.

If you get the right code it will control the AMP ok, but when the remote is in 'Sky' mode the volume control will control the TV not the AMP.

Which means pressing TV every time you want to change volume, and then Sky again to be able to control the digibox

Last edited by a moderator:
dmk1198 - it isn't about anything - what made you think the 1.5tB would be any different about 5:1 audio?

call me niave i assumed we'd be able to get 5.1 thru hdmi in 2010 :facepalm:

at least its got coaxial, better sound than optical is capable off

the 3-d pictures are stunning i have to say, will they start charging for this channel?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom