• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Amstrad 1Tb box + USB port - Does it supply power?

John Barrow

Standard Member
I have recently upgaded my original Thompson SkyHD box to a new Amstrad 1Tb box using the £149 deal. Firstly, I would recommend this to anyone with the old Thompson box as the responsiveness of the new box is worth the upgrade on its own, plus all that extra storage.

Anyway, my problem is the following:-

I have a HDMI switcher that I used to power from the USB port on the Thompson box (following a recommendation on this forum) and that has worked fine. I assumed that the new Amstrad box would be the same but I don't seem to get any power out of its USB port to source power for the HDMI switcher.

Has anyone else tried this?
If so then did you get the same issue or does it work for you?
Is there a setting that needs to be activated first (I suspect that this is unlikely)?

I would rather avoid having to go back to using the transformer as it uses up a valuable plug socket!

logiciel

It's news to me that any of the USBs were even wired at all.
As your new one doesn't work they obviously haven't wired it.
You're right that there isn't a setting for it.
When I was using a HDMI switch its power adapter had to squeeze into the rack!

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
It's news to me that any of the USBs were even wired at all.
As your new one doesn't work they obviously haven't wired it.
You're right that there isn't a setting for it.
When I was using a HDMI switch its power adapter had to squeeze into the rack!

They are all "wired" as you put it in both Sky+ and Sky HD boxes. None have been completely enabled in firmware although some models had the power enabled and on some models a software upgrade actually switched this off. So basically the most they have ever been able to do in the "wild" is provide power to some usb chargers. I say in the wild as a few years ago Pace developed and demonstrated a working portable media player that used the usb port on a Sky+ box but it was never put into production because of "media rights" issues.

John Barrow

Standard Member
some models had the power enabled and on some models a software upgrade actually switched this off

That is probably the case then. The early Thompson boxes were probably designed to be flexible to introduce HD to the community, hence the inclusion of component outputs.

Now where did I put the original adaptor...

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom