1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amsterdamned - Help wanted!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Jul 31, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Can anyone help me please? Am trying to locate the film "Amsterdamned" (1988 - directed by Dick Maas), on DVD.

I've done several searches on the Internet, via Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, and e-Bay, plus a few other websites, and have come across two releases, but all the reviews seem to contradict one another.

Basically:
    - the film was made in 1.66:1 widescreen
    - was filmed in Dutch language, though a reasonable English-language dub was done by most of the original cast
    - one version is in English mono language, and French DTS
    - another version, is supposedly Digitally Remastered, but only in Dutch with no English subtitles.

All I'm looking for, is to get the film on DVD, in the original 1.66:1 widescreen ratio (anamorphic, or non-anamorphic - I'm not fussy), and preferably with either a choice of Dutch language accompanied with English subtitles and/or the English dub.

Can anyone help me in locating which version to get, and recommend the best version of the two to choose from? Thanks!

Pooch

2. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is a good film. I have had a search for it before but didn't try too hard as I have a copy on tape somewhere. The boat chase is memorable. Will be interested to see if you get a result.

I can tell you the UPC is 8-714576-929161. (16:9)

It may help you.

If I come across it I will post where.

Dave

3. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
  4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the help. The English-dub was actually performed by the original Dutch cast. As such, that's why it might appear below-par, seeing as English is their second language. I've oinly ever known of an English-dub version, though obviously the film was released in the Netherlands in Dutch. I just wish someone, would let us have the Dutch language version, but with proper English subs, as well as the English dub on one disc. :(

The DVD cover I found was here! and is totally different from the one listed on the DVD Zone2 website mentioned in the post above. :confused: This one says that it's Digitally Remastered, and in 16:9 widescreen! :clap:

The second DVD version I found was here! under a slightly different title. Again, if anyone can help me out on finding the best version to buy, then let me know. :) Cheers!

I still have my old VHS copy from when ITV showed it back in the early 1990's on New Years Day at 2am!! And, the film was uncut, in 1.66:1 widescreen, AND the credits were left intact, and not squashed to the side of the screen! :clap: Them were the days... :(

Anyway, thanks for the help, and I too, love the film. The boat chase is definitely very impressive, and whilst the film has flaws, it's a fun European thriller, and one-of-a-kind. I wish more of Dick Maas' works were released onto DVD, especially "The Lift", which I also loved.

Pooch

P.S. I found this on e-Bay, but can't confirm if it's a genuine DVD or a very good copy. Would anyone else care to take a look please... here! The e-Bay disc has a documentary, but is in 2.0 Dolby Digital Stereo Dutch language only, and no English language track, nor English dub either. :( Do you think this would still be worth getting? Thanks! :)

Addendum: I've decided to buy the "Amsterdamned" DVD on e-Bay, even though it's only in Dutch, and has no English language dub, or subtitle options. It's such a great film, I thought it was worth paying 14 Euros for (including postage, packing and insurance) to get the film now! :clap:

5. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    It looks like that remastered version is real, but with Dutch-only audio and no subtitles, you're going to struggle... It's a shame there's no subtitles, otherwise I would've gone for it too...

It would appear the inferior French disc is your only real option... of course, you could buy both and make your own super-duper version... (transplant the audio from one onto the anamorphic pic of the other.).