Amsterdam trip

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a 4 night stay in Amsterdam later in the year.

Any advice? Is that a good length of time to see the city? Any recommendations on things to do and see? No brownies BTW before anyone asks. Nor ladies of the night!

Any good areas to stay, and what is the public transport system like?

There's always ladies of the day then ! ;) Boom-Boom ! ( Basil Brush laughing out loud )

This is my opinion, right or wrong, but compared to other major cities in Europe, there is relatively little to see in Amsterdam, unless you enjoy getting bogged down in less than interesting museums and are perhaps into art a lot ( which I'm not ). To me, Amsterdam is more about the on-holiday feeling, cafes and bars, the walking about/biking about. This is not to down Amsterdam at all, but to give context to my suggestion that you also think about outside of the city, remembering that those cafes, bars, the streets and their vibe or however you call it, are still there to come back to for the evening. In that regard, I have a couple of suggestions for day time excursions.

Do a bike tour in the country.

Yellow Bike, a long standing operator, know where the lovely riding is. You go out by public transport or maybe a van, pick up bikes from a lock up and spend half a day riding, broken by lunch in a lovely place and arrive back before tea time.
They also do city bike tours lasting 2 or 3 hours, if this is a first visit perhaps of use to you.

Link : Home Engels | Yellow Bike

See old industry, crafts, living and Netherlands heritage in one easy location.

Not plasticised Disneyfication at all, but the real thing, just on show in one handy place. This isn't boring, honest.

There are various places like this in the Netherlands but handy for Amsterdam is Zaanse Schans, a few minutes walk beyond a rail station just twenty minutes north from Central Station.

Link : Discover Dutch crafts, windmills and museums at the Zaanse Schans

There's other days/half days you can do out, especially given the extensive public transport system. But for a short visit like yours, these are the two I think have the most worth.

A few mentions in Amsterdam

Not an ultimate hot-list this, rather a few things that I either know about or I have come upon that look interesting for some day when I return. You can add these to consideration among those things you already had in mind or what the guidebooks list as top things to see.

- Anne Franks House.

Yes, such a cliché and yes can be busy. But, it really does make such an impression. Absolutely yes, do go. If you haven't even heard of it, just Google it and watch one of the several dramatisations of her diary, before you go.

Link : Anne Frank Museum Amsterdam - the official Anne Frank House website

- Hemp Museum

Apparently now in two nearby buildings, an interesting and eye opening story of not only the drug but of the material uses of the plant. You don't need to be into smoking weed to enjoy this at all and I'm not. There's more to it than many people realise and also the politics and silly legal nonsense around the world are of interest too.

Links :

listing : The Hash, Marijuana and Hemp Museum in Amsterdam | Amsterdam.info

actual : Amsterdam

- Body Worlds

I came upon this by chance and it looked interesting to see when I one day go back to Amsterdam. Seems to be some kind of bodies inside-out type of how-it-works biological museum, or art show, or hybrid thereof. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with that weird German doctor who did the bodies show thing on Channel 4 a few years back. Another maybe is that there's another place similar to this in town, just possibly. I may be mixing that up with some other museum.

Link : Discover the secrets of Happiness and its effects on the body. An absolute must-see!

LOL, for better or worse, that looked interesting to me. Just a suggestion ! It certainly looks more interesting than some of the boring museums in the city. The maritime museum - what a disappointment and a bore. The big museums with all their art masterpieces - yuck, no thanks ! Pah ! Phooey !

- Oude Kirk ( old church )

Link : visit

Just to walk in and gaze and photograph. Its actually in the Red Light District, in close walking distance to other things there that may bring you to the area, such as the hash museum locations. If you're interested in approaching the professional sex angle of the area from an arms length position of studied curiosity, there is actually a Prostitution Museum close by ( I hate that damn word ) and if you Google it, there are actually walking tours of the Red Light District, of interest to the amateur anthropologist perhaps.
But yes, do get along to the Oude Kirk, despite where it is. There are many stunningly beautiful Catholic churches and cathedrals especially in places like Italy and France, but this is entirely different yet not much less stunning in its own way. It has a simplicity, reflective of its Protestant tradition, but so attractive in its own way. Check out the wood work, the roofing, the organ; its all really really pleasing.

That brings me to mention another worthy visitation in the Red Light District, again, not far from Oude Kirk,

Museum Amstelkring

Link : Museum Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder

Its an old 17th century merchants house, maintained as would have looked then. Its interesting I think and better than a museum museum. It also houses a curiosity, for up in the attic level there is a secret Catholic church, from a time in Dutch history when it had to be because of the politics and dangers of the time.

- The Cat Boat " Poezenboot"

Here's a quirky one for you and no, this isn't a floating brothel !
Its a cat sanctuary and an old Amsterdam institution in various canal locations over the years. If you like pussy cats, go along and bring some donation, toys, fleecy blanket,etc. As you'd expect, characters will vary but there are always the ones who want attention. I suggest you maybe wear gloves, especially if they are of a material that the cats will enjoy, but also as a protection for you from nips or scratches by unpredictable strange cats.
Some do like to speak to you and if you cannot speak Dutch, there are a few who have learned some English, from a book.

Link : The Catboat | De Poezenboot

So there you go, just a short few things in the city itself and most of these close to one another. And it shows you, sex quite aside, it is worth going in to the Red Light District area for other things.
I hope you like my ideas for getting out of town during the day on a couple of your days at least.

ps

You asked about places to stay. IMO, you must must must stay in the inner canal ring. Just about everything you are going to visit is located here. No point in staying in some nice looking and well offered hotel in a business park somewhere in the suburbs. Especially on a short visit. There's so many hotels central there isn't going to be a problem getting something decent. Look at the map and find Centraal Station for a start and see how the inner canal ring areas and the various points of interest relate. You can see the various main streets fanning out underneath the station on the map and there are multiple tram lines making easy connection to points of interest a little further out if you need them, otherwise many thing are just walking distance if you are staying centrally.
By the way regular and fast trains come from the airport into Centraal Station too.

pps

While a cliché of Amsterdam, I do think it is nice to get on a canal boat cruise at twilight/night. Candle-lit, wine, choose different levels of food, some are cheese & wine kind of affairs, others you can dine more formally. No links/current knowledge to give you but these are common. Its really pleasant on the canals with all the twinkly lights switched on and stuff.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
We went in January and stayed here, it was a walk from the central station but lovely if a little pricey.
Prepare to be utterly enchanted - Ambassade Hotel
I also stayed here a few years back which is very close to the central station, it was OK but the rooms were tired and not very clean when I was there. I was at a conference so had no choice. Trip Advisor suggests it's better now.
NH Collection

I used to go a lot for work but we stayed in Leiden and The Hague as that was were I was based.

Things to do...
A good long walk, there's a lot to see.
A boat trip from the canal outside the station is a good way to see the city and rest your legs.
Brown bars (no, not that brown) are traditional pubs which server excellent beers.
Rikjsmuseum fairly recently reopened after a massive refurbishment, a variety of art and sculpture - this was why we went last time as my Mum wanted to see the Rembrandt painting.
Rembrandt's house is reputed to be good.
We never wanted to do Anne Frank's house.
The flower market was a hit but one of our party is a gardener.

The Netherlands have a great train service - if you're only transfering to and from Schiphol then buy one way tickets for each run. If you're thinking of a bit of exploring then an OV Chipkaart is a bit like a PAYG oyster card. Lots of stations are unattended and many don't take VISA at the machines so make sure you have your return fare loaded.
If you want to try a more picturesque and quieter city then Leiden is worth a look.
Den Hague (the Hague) is also pretty and has museums etc. be warned that if you go when the government aren't around it will feel like a ghost town.

Around Amsterdam you could use the tram system - probably with the Chipkaart but check - we just walked it's that kind of place. Within the inner canal rings it's pretty compact.

I agree with the poster above that there are a lot of very dubious museums so pick with care.

Getting there for us is simple as KLM fly from our local airport to Schiphol and there is a cheap and easy train transfer from there to central amsterdam.
Eurostar are launching or may have launched direct trains from London.

We love the Netherlands, the people are generally pretty friendly and practically everyone speaks English and often German and French too!

Agree with above, Anne Frank House can have ridiculous queues, the sex museum was very good! Boat tours are good fun. Their take on an English breakfast can prove interesting.... I'm going to rotterdam next, looks an interesting town.

Neither of us drink so bars aren't of much interest although a nice cosy bar with live music would be fine.

We have 5 nights but the first day will be purely catching up on lost sleep as we'll be landing back from Canada.

The reason for the trip is that we're flying to Canada and the easiest route is Belfast to London and London direct to Winnipeg. So rather than fly straight home we'll head to Amsterdam for 5 days and then go home.

I maintain Anne Frank's House is a good idea. I bet you booking online helps. The queues that are seen probably consist of unbooked visitors and perhaps school parties and the like waiting to go in. Of course it is also going to be a bit seasonal too in terms of the pressure.
If you are familiar with the story of it, you won't regret a bit of a wait to get to go round it.

Just a clarification about my opinion of museums. I noticed a comment above :

"I agree with the poster above that there are a lot of very dubious museums so pick with care."

What I was actually referring to wasn't really "dubious" museums in the sense of being rips offs or tourist traps or of dubious subject matter. I was actually referring to some of the big, well set up and visited normal museums. My opinion is that the likes of all the art in the Rikjsmuseum or the objectively good maritime place, are an unworthy soak-up of your time, especially on a short trip. Now, if you're into art and stuff, then shut my face ! Of course. I was advocating for more fun things in line with my own views, which involve laying aside normal, perfect good museums in an objective sense. Each individual visitor knows what they like and can go with my approach or find it irrelevant.

As for museums of actually "dubious" subject matter, I bet you a lot of these ( admittedly tourist traps as well ) are great fun and a better use of time than a grand prestigious museum. I guess the Body Worlds place I suggested might be counted in these. Looking at Google Maps I also noticed the Prostitution Museum and I found also a museum of torture, which I think could actually be funny - e.g. being made to sit on a pyramid LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a place devoted to sex machinery like there is/was in Prague. You're there for fun so why not ? Better than paintings ( unless they are nude of course ) LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was many many years ago that myself and my now wife went to "the Dam".
What a weekend. Lots of food, lots of weed and lots of fun. But I would go for a walk through the red light area. Take your other half aswell and its a good laugh. The sex shops as well are an experience. Some of the tools in there were making my eyes water just looking at them !
Imagine a sex toy on the end of a chainsaw !

No photographing of the sex workers' "windows" mind. Very big no-no.

Sex shops - again this is just my opinion - what a bore. And in the days of internet, why ?

Sex shows ? What a bore too, seriously. I wouldn't repeat. Its actually horrible at times and I think sometimes they just act up to be gross as possible. I'd much rather see some kind of exotic dance by really attractive models who move well. But even then, what are you going to do, in an audience ? See - a waste of time, ultimately.

Actual one on one professional sex is a worthy use of time and there is nothing in of itself wrong with it. There can often be things wrong with the way it operates, including very much, a hostile legalistic and societal environment. As for how the "Windows" system in Amsterdam works, I wouldn't say its an ideal model for me really, but there's nothing actually wrong with it. People should be able to live their lives freely and be left alone by government other than government acting to protect their liberty from interference and harm by others. That's what government should be about.

But the Red Light District, yeah there are several things to go do and see in there, that have nothing to do with sex or vulgarity. Don't miss out on my area suggestions just because of the sex thing. And of the sex thing without actual participation, you can take a visitors look with insight by taking a guided walking tour.

Finally got my flights booked. We land back from Canada on a Sunday morning, fly to Amsterdam on Sunday afternoon and will most likely not do very much that day. Then we have all week and leave on Friday afternoon.

The Poezenboot is a must see as we have 7 cats ourself!

I'll have a browse through the other recommendations shortly. Accomodation is top of the list so I'll have a look there first.

There are some decent AirBNB options as well. They could proof excellent value for money when you stay a few more nights. I agree with the others you'd want to stay central, public transport is excellent, or go proper Dutch and hire a bike :)

Hotel De L'Europe is one of my favourites but it may depend on your budget. Generally I don't find hotels good value for money in Amsterdam and breakfast really isn't a big thing either in the Netherlands. I am Dutch and for me it is still two slices of dark brown bread with cheese and a cup of milk :p But last time I tried Hotel De Witt, and whilst the service was great, breakfast was a surprise, I wasn't impressed with the rooms and location but everything else was full.

Anne Frank has been done up, booking and arriving at your time slot is a must. It really is.

I agree it isn't necessarily a Citi with lots 'to do', not like Copenhagen for example, however it is more about soaking up the atmosphere and exploring the various areas. My favourite is letting the time pass away in the Jordaan. But Vondelpark is nice as well.

As I went with teenagers we had to do some activities, and the Amsterdam Dungeon was a hit, that was actually really good fun. And yes the canal tours are recommended as well.

If you have 4 days, I would probably take the train and go see The Hague/Scheveningen for a day as well. As the capital with the government it is a fantastic Citi. I think the train return is only about 10 euros (guessing as it was 8.36 from Schiphol when I had to go there for work).

Be prepared for a relaxed chilled out time opposed to an activity pack time. Great atmosphere, nice restaurants, fantastic looking old areas and streets.

I was thinking about a day trip to Belgium too. Antwerp is an hour on the train, Brussels 2 hours.

The boss says she doesn't want to go to Antwerp unless I'm buying her a diamond though...

I was thinking about a day trip to Belgium too. Antwerp is an hour on the train, Brussels 2 hours.

The boss says she doesn't want to go to Antwerp unless I'm buying her a diamond though...
If you had to choose between the two I'd go for Brussels; It is actually a nice journey with changing landscapes. Then go to the Grande Place, Manneke Pis, and shopping on Avenue Louise...

However I think it is worthwhile doing a multi city trip by itself to Belgium. Go to The Hague in the Netherlands and/or Utrecht or Delft. Or if you like cheese go to one of the markets in Alkmaar or Gouda or Edam. Another nice and rather unique trip would be to Giethoorn. Or depending on when you go to the Keukenhof, the flowers are amazing.

Entirely your choice of course :)

we tend to go to over there every year (went twice last year - got a mate there :) ) - but haven't been to amsterdam for years...too full of stoned tourists etc...

we tend to stay at different places, and utrecht is a fave, more of a relaxed place... and there are lovely little places like leiden, delft etc...

One of the best tourist attractions of the Netherlands is the hair of politician, Geert Wilders.

Tourists the world over flock to the country to marvel at and photograph his amazing swept back mane.

One of the best tourist attractions of the Netherlands is the hair of politician, Geert Wilders.

Tourists the world over flock to the country to marvel at and photograph his amazing swept back mane.
It’s the only “positive” thing he’s got going for him :p But don’t be alarmed there are a few others who have even better versions.

We've just come back from 4 nights in Amsterdam, my regular birthday trip. :smashin:

We stayed at the Hotel American on leidseplein which is absolutely lovely, I'll be staying there again the next time we go. If you wanted a base in the city centre but away from all of the dam square/red light madness then this would be right up your street.

If you're not a smoker or a drinker then some of the best fun to be had in Amsterdam can be nothing more complicated than going for a night time walk along the canal rings. It's a beautiful city if you're the kind of people who like to walk and talk and dream.

jul_amsterdam.jpg

^^^
Nice pic:thumbsup:

Went there for my first time as part of a twin place stag doo (very tame-all sensible peeps) last Autumn.

Managed to find enough to do for the 2 days we were there.

Beer factory tour. Walks along the canal. Boat trip. General wandering about. Nice eating/drinking places.

Was planning on going back again with another bunch of people this Spring/Summer.

Not 100% commited yet (looking at other places). Accomodation over there is eye bleedingly expensive. I know its a capital city but circa £100 for a dorm room:eek:

yeah, the first time I went with my lady - she insisted on staying somewhere nice - we were in the amrath...that's pricey haha...free mini bar tho and was filled up daily..

Geert Wilders is a great man, but his hair is greater.

His followers shout :

Haar van Wilders U-Akbar !

( Wilder's hair is greater )

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom