AMS Scam

BluWarfareHD09

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up my mate's mum got a phone call the other day from this company(AMS-Arial Management Support) saying that her warranty(Sky Protect) was about to run out, she asked them why they were calling and not Sky Protect and they said they had taken over sky protect and that she hadn't claimed she could have 3 years for the price of 2(£90 a year). When I went to see my mate today, he said about this deal. It didn't sit right with me straight away, so I told him to have a look at his mum's bank statement and Sky Protect had come out.

So we had his mum phone Sky and they said the had no information of switching provider and gave his mum the number to Sky Protect(Domestic and something). Phoned them and was told it was still coming out and that they had not switched/merged with any other company. So rang AMS and told them that they are coning people and that she wanted a refund, to be told that we have to send the letter back, while she was on the phone I got her to ask how they had obtained her password and was told from an outside source. Which leaves me with the thought what is the point in having a password if anyone can obtain it.

I've told her not to send the the letter back(as they said they can not issue a refund till they receive it) as if she does she will have no proof and to instead ring Trading Standards and go to the bank see what they have to say .

Just thought I would let you guys know(I know most of you don't have sky protect any way, but this is a straight scam)

To be clear - a refund of what, and what letter?

The refund would be for the two lots of £90 they took out(the 3 years for the price of 2 years), the letter is what she received yesterday saying what the plan covers, etc. What I don't understand is somewhere there is clearly someone at Sky or Sky Protect slipping these people your details as how else would they have got his mums verbal password that is used when calling Sky, yet trading standards say they can not do anything unless they do not put the money back, even though they clearly lied saying that they had taken over Sky Protect and they are receiving confidential information about you(your password, phone number, address, and when you original purchased Sky Protect, etc)

You said it was Sky Protect that had come out.
If the cover is wanted what's wrong with that?

Do Sky and Sky Protect even share the same phone password? They are two different and independant companies. Sky Protect is Domestic and General Insurance PLC and only 'endorsed' by Sky.

Take a copy of the letter then send back the original to get the refund. Then get them to cancel Sky Protect and not to respond to telesales calls. If you both feel that badly about it cancel your TV subscriptions.

Sky Protect did come out, but this company rang up and told her that they had taken over Sky Protect and that her cover would run out, when in fact Sky Protect still exists, so they fraudulently got her to sign up with them. The only reason she believed them was that they had her password so she had no reason to question it. The main thing that made me suspicious was that Sky still advertise Sky Protect and the fact that this place doesn't have a website. I did try to explain in my first post, maybe I wasn't clear enough on some aspects.

That's OK, and this whole thing is quite complicated, as kevkbuk indicates.
Has she actually signed a legal document with AMS, and made an arrangement with her bank to pay them anything?

Last edited:
It's not complicated... she got a cold call, she agreed to buy insurance from AMS (regardless if she was lied to or not...) and she now has the right to cancel it and get a refund. If they do not refund it pursue it with the bank and trading standards.

As they said they were now running Sky Protect along with the password, she gave them here debit detail's, so they have taken the 2 payments hence why she needs to speak to the bank and get a copy of the letter. Trading Standards have it on record and said if they don't refund her the money then they can take action. What I don't get is how trading standards can't take action anyway when this company is selling it's product by lying saying that they have taken over Sky Protect.

Sky and Sky Protect have said they have not heard of this company and they are not an endorsed/official warranty provider, Sky Protect were the one's who told her to contact Trading Standards and then contact AMS to demand a refund, so why would we cancel our Sky subscriptions due to some dodgy company fraudulently acting as if they are part of sky/sky protect . The only way I can think AMS has gotten her information is by a disgruntled ex sky employee.

The only way I can think AMS has gotten her information is by a disgruntled ex sky employee.

Or Sky has sold it to them. :D

When we had Sky we would get calls from Sky Protect and several others near the one year anniversary after signing up... it was a few years ago now before the phone passwords but still... stranger things have happened.

Cancel all the insurance and you don't have to worry, plus you save money too. :D

I only created this to warn people of AMS. Also doubt it would be Sky selling information as that is confidential information, I know they are allowed to share your phone number and email, but something like password would go against the consumer protection act. Also why would sky sell information to another insurance company when they get paid to use Domestic and General.

Thinking about it, doesn't the customer have to give the password before Sky will speak to you?

My grey-haired old Mum got conned out of hundreds. I discovered that she had no less than THREE Sky insurance policies. She doesn't have Sky Digital and never has!

Since I'm not in the UK, I contacted her local councillor who contacted the police. The payments got stopped but NO refunds because the calls weren't recorded so there was no record of what was said. She's now under strict instructions not to respond to any similar calls but I don't know how long she'll remember that. I just hope that I haven't inherited the "stupid" gene. :(

Last edited:
It was the bank statement that covered upto the 20th of this month Sky Protect came out on the 18th/19th of this month. She got the call from AMS on the 21st(Thursday) saying about them taking over from Sky Protect and that as she hadn't claimed on it for the year she had it they would do it for £180 for 3 years instead of 2 years. So they said they would take the first payment of £90 then and then 48hr's(which as it clashed with the weekend came out Monday) later they would take the second payment of £90. The reason I wanted to look at the statement is that if Sky Protect had come(and it had) out this month then this AMS hadn't taken over the company, which was confirmed by her calling Sky. Also what self respecting company these doesn't have a website?

the call from AMS on the 21st(Thursday)
they would take the first payment of £90 then and then 48hr's
And have they done that?
I'm not defending them at all, and wouldn't touch them myself, but that wouldn't arise anyway as it's pointless specifically to insure Sky equipment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom