1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amps with SCART ins/outs...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ab1385, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Are there many of these about? I would realy like to get something like this, preferably second hand, but a decent amp with SCART inputs seems as rare as hens teeth...

I used to have a Pioneer C301, and hated it. It sounded weak, slow, and, well, generally poor, and going for the Azur 540R as an upgrade I couldn't now have anything too much less. Now looking for another room, but I would really like something with multiple SCART ins/outs, but can find very little. I was really ideally looking for something at the same sort of level as a Denon 1802 or Yammy 630, say £100-£150 second hand.

It would make life so much easier if I could find an amp like this, but I fear that no such thing exists. So, things I would need:

At least 3 SCART inputs, but more would be better.
    Digital inputs for all of these, optical or digital, but optical would be better.
    At least 1 SCART output, 2 would be nice as 1 for the VCR would be good too, but not strictly necessary.
    5.1 sound is all thats required, I don't need 6.1/7.1, but I guess they couldn't hurt too much.

And, sound quality is the most important thing here really. Features, beyond the ones I listed, are of minor importance. And, if there isn't anything in the price bracket I listed, is there anything in any higher price bracket, say, up to £250-£300?

2. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    This may help, as I was reading a "HomeCinemaChoice" article on cabling yesterday and came across this...

"The ability to switch RGB signals is also a rarity. RGB, and the Scart connector that carries the signals in consumer products, are peculiarly European phenomena. AV amps, on the other hand, are destined for a worldwide market. The only exception we're aware of is JVC's RX-E100RSL receiver, which has four Scart sockets - three for AV sources and one for the TV."

Probably bloody expensive though. :rolleyes:

Click to Read Article

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Small cheaper slim, recievers have scarts and some high end marantz also have them. Don't think there is anything inbetween.

Look at the pioneer 100 and 301 they should be knocking around cheap at richer sounds.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There aren't many. Marantz 8300 comes to mind and an AV processor from T&A (German high-end brand). I wonder though if the use of Scart at an AV amp makes sense, after all you could just connect e.g. a VCR via an adapter cable (Scart to composite video + audio L&R).

You can even switch RGB via the component (YUV) connections if required, using suitable adapter cables (Scart to RGB + Composite). As well the AV amp must be able to switch a composite input with the same source as the YUV connection (composite carries the sync). A bit more messy than Scart to Scart, but doable ...

5. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Its just the annoying question of buying loads of new cables and stuff that bothers me, but that probably is what I will do, and get something like a Denon 1604. Either that or a Pioneer 301, but I really want the best of both worlds...oh well!

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I depends on your sources and output, if you just using a normal cheapish tv then video wise scart will be ok. Also RGB scart apears to be the best possible connection even better than component, although not by much. If you get a projector though you'll want to fee it component signal or get a converter box for RGB to component for the best quality.

As for sound quality i got my dad the 301 and it seems good but he's only using cheap speakers, they do however produce clear non distorted sound, which is good. I believe it uses digital amplification which is how it is so small. The denon or yammy will probably sound better though but will be introducing a whole new cabling system which will cost and confuse, remeber the new yamaha units have better automatic set up and supposidly all the yamaha range is ment to have the same sound quality just some have less/more power.

I've not noticed any of the problems you have had with the pioneer maybe the speakers where a bit to much for it, normal sub sat sets have low efficency so are difficult to dive. To be honest though i haven't auditioned it properly.

I have the yammy 620 and its decent amp but i'm looking to move upto the 1500 or 2500. The use of rear speakers on this yammy is very little which is one of the resons i want to upgrade (and for the sake of upgrading i think somethines).

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would disagree, Component (YUV) and RGB from DVD are rather equal from a technical point of view.

The information on the DVD is stored in YUV format but most displays (CRT TVs for example) require RGB - so the question is where do you convert and which one is better (or rather which one isn't good).
    If you use YUV the TV does the conversion, if you use RGB it's done in the player.

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yea very true, just get a cable which reduces the signal loss the most which ever you use, if you want best quality.