1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amps/Watts/Ohms and extension leads

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gazzerr, May 31, 2003.

1. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cn anyone help. I'm in the processing of plugging all my new gear in. As with most AV things I need an extension board to cater for all my bits of kit but I am wondering if it can handle all the equipment. I have been browsing the handbooks and it all looks to be Ok until I come to the poweramp which can consume upto 3KW. I don't know if this is a theoretical figure or is liklely to be achieved. Anyone know if this is a problem and what do the rest of you guys do when using a high power amp?

I also have a problem of converting from 3 pin to 2 pin. I have a surge protector (Belkin) and was thinking of chopping the plug of and putting a two pin on but I'm not sure if there is any clever stuff in the plug or if its all in the main board -anyone know. I have had voltage stabilisers installed but the power still fluctuates quite widely so I need to ensure that all my kit doesn't disappear in a puff of smoke!

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Damascus? what is your Mains Rating? 110V? or 240V? and is the 3KW figure based on the voltage you are running there? because if it is 3000/110 = 27 Amps, Wow:smoke:

3. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The voltage is 220V. I got the (uptp) 3kw from the power consumption quoted in the technical specs for my amp.:cool:

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don’t have anywhere near that power but I have a lot of plugs though with a four way extension fed off of a six way extension going to a single plug at the wall, the way to look at it is as long as all the cables are in good condition then at the end of the day you have a 13A fuse at the wall you cant draw more power than that. I am assuming the AV8 is also fused? I doubt that the Arcam will pull anywhere near the 3kW you mention that would be the equivalent of 425W over 7 channels. You would definitely not need central heating. I think I read that the AV8 has two 1.5kW transformers, that does not necessarily mean it could supply this as constant power it means it has bags of power reserve for big bass hits.

If you are worried talk to Arcam especially about the voltage fluctuations.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As pwiles says,the Arcam is only likely to consume 3kW either on transients when driven at very high levels,or on a lab test bench.

I have a small collection of Krell KMA 100s,rated somewhat conservatively at 100W Class A,and each consumes therefore around 700W of power assuming around 15-20% efficiency...they will also deliver up to 800W into very low loads....the worst problem I've had is occasionally blowing the ring main fuse if all the things are switched on too close to each other!

You simply need a good mains supply,with as little other loading on it as possible for the audio gear only....a separate mains spur is ideal.

6. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Gazzerr,

Welcome to my first post here...

I've had a quick look at the schematics for the P7. On the 220/230V setting each of the main transformers is protected by a T4A fuse, so theoretically total current draw can be no more than 8 Amps. At 220V this gives us 1.76kVA. I would suggest you might be a little deaf if you were running the amp at a level to draw this much current !! :)

I didn't work on the P7 project so I can only assume the 3kW figure refers to instantaneous power.

Er, as regards chopping the 3-pin plug off and replacing it with a 2-pin type - I do hope you still have an Earth connection. Safety Earths are there for a reason. Once in a blue moon things can go wrong with any equipment. Things that are designed to be Earthed (like the AV8 and P7) really ought to stay that way. [Mind you, when I lived in Belgium some years ago, the concept of Earth in our house didn't exist. We only got a few zaps from the deep fat fryer to the sink and not from anything else!!]

Hope that helps,
    Mark

7. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.:clap: