Amps vs AVRs

Alex Lake

Standard Member
Reaction score
This has probably been done to death, but I'm installing a new stereo system in a second lounge. The main lounge tends to get used for watching telly, so I'm hoping that I can listen to music in the new room!
I'm looking at getting some Q-Acoustics 3050 or 2050 or maybe Monitor Audio Bronze 5, but one thing I'm wondering about is what to drive them with.
Options are:
- Home-made "PE Audiokit 30+30" (good because it has a decent MC phono input)
- Denon AVR3312 (not being used in the main room, so pinchable)
- New Marantz PM6005 or PM7005
- New or Secondhand Audiolab 8000P
The main source for any of these is likely to be Spotify and Chromecast (either analogue or optical out)
I was wondering what the likely relative merits of these amp options might be. On the Denon front, I'd be thinking that I'm using only 2 of the 7+1 which seems a bit of a waste! Should I consider trying to use 4 of the 7+1 by kind of bi-amping?

Just realised that I have another option... I have a Behringer EP4000 power amp that I guess I could plug the Chromecast into. That's quite a lot of power, but precious little control, possibly!

Trust your own ears and try the various options you do have before deciding if you need to trial new kit

Hello Alex,

Many thanks for considering Q Acoustics loudspeakers.

For the very best sound quality, we would always recommend a stereo amplifier over an AVR.

Regards

This has probably been done to death,..

And some :D.

If it just for music or it is the main priority, as said above, a stereo amp

Thanks all...
It's a shame in a way, because AVRs seem on the face of it to offer remarkable value for money - there's a lot in those boxes and they cost about the same as quite piddly integrated amp units!
It has now been suggested that I look at active speakers, which seems like a sensible idea, and at least eliminates the dilemma on amp selection, but there's no staging of outlay there - if I can slap £1000 or so down on the table now, it might be a good option!
The other point that I've heard is that one should really audition in the room they're going to be. Easy to say that, and it makes perfect sense, but I would expect that hifi shops can't be lending out equipment and maintain margins comparable with box-shifters. Sometimes I think that expert, consultative selling should be charged for separately from the selling of the actual product, but doubt that would work in the real world!

Just had an idea for a hifi retail business model. If it's been done before then great - please tell me!
It's a "man (or woman) in a van" that will charge you £150 for a 2-hour appointment in your home and they bring a selection of amps and speakers (& stands) to your house and you demo them there. The £150 may be redeemed against purchases over £500 (or possibly more?) or if the customer decides to buy elsewhere or not at all, then they forfeit it.

If such a service exists I want to take advantage of it now!

These sort of arrangements are usually built up from trust. To gain mutual respect and 'trust' both the customer and supplier would normally have some sort of history. Previous dealings...maybe just enquiries even, a foundation for building a trusting relationship. Very important when we are talking about the prices associated with the Hifi business.
I have this sort of arrangement with two dealers and I've spent a considerable amount with both of them. I will do so again in the future. They trust me and I them.
Most good dealers would have some sort of try before you buy option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom