1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amps & receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by villaceltic, May 24, 2003.

1. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right I'm going to bite the bullet now and admit that I'm confused over the difference between an amp and a receiver - there I've said it..

The confusion mounts further when I look at same brand amps and receivers which would appear to have the same features (Dolby pro logic II, 6.1 surround features, etc.)

If I've got TV, Sky, VCR, DVD and speakers - what should I be looking for - an amp or receiver?

Cheers

Macca:blush:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A AV Reciever is the same as a AV amp, except the AV Reciever has built-in tuner.

I would say go for the AV amp, and buy a seperate tuner.

Tuners are noisy devices (lots of RF) so putting that lot into unit which has low-level pre-amp, processing and amps is IMO a bad idea.

A AV amp ....
    http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206426

A AV Reciever..
    http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206590

Regarding the new sound formats.. don't worry too much about it. As long it has Pro-Logic II, Dolby Digital, DTS- then that's pretty much the minimum. If it has DTS ES, ES etc etc then that's a bonus.

3. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's it? So maybe a £100 difference between equivalent models for in affect a 'radio'. If I'm going to be more 'cinema' than 'Hifi' then I still get all the gubbins but typicaly cheaper with an amp?

Ta

Macca