• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amps on Mains plug

pure_geordie

Established Member
I am running cables for a projector that I will eventually purchase..whatever it will be ..probably something like HD72 DLP or the like...all I ask is the mains cable that comes with most of these projectors...what amp fuse do they have in the plugs...are they 5 Amps...???
Cheers

Alun

Prominent Member
Fairl sure my panny is on a 3amp fuse. But saying that a 5amp would cover up to 1300W ish, so it would need to be a fairly hefty PJ.

Whatever you by is highly likely to be internally fused anyway, so a 5amp should be fine.

pure_geordie

Established Member
This is my problem/Quandry.......The mains socket that I've installed I want to just put it in the ceiling and plaster over it as I don't want to mount the socket on my ceiling...Q is though if I do that can I just connect the mains cable direct without a fuse because if the fuse goes i will have to break into the ceiling to change fuse..so in effect the mains cable would be connected directly to mains with no fuse or switch, and I would just use the switch on projector....or what I can do is just put a large ampage fuse in like 10/13 amp wich shouldn't blow:eek:

Cheers

Jammyb

Prominent Member
If you've got room on your board you could give it its own low amp ring. Or you could even buy a cheap box and have your cinema room on a seperate thingmajig (hope I'm not confusing you with my complex knowledge of electrical terminology...)

Thing is you're going to want to be able to kill power to it aren't you?

Rather than using a socket wouldn't an extension lead be better?

Nick_UK

Banned
The fuse in the mains plug protects the cable which goes between the plug and the appliance. If you increase the size of the fuse in the plug, if a short were to develop in the cable, it would catch fire, and if the insurance asessor finds the cause of the fire, they won't pay out. I'm not sure if you're aware but the new electrical regs stipulate that all new mains wiring has to be professionally checked.

pure_geordie

Established Member
Doesn't have to be checked...but it is a good idea to get it checked. that is what my building regs man said...it only requires checking if you have come off from the kitchen/utility or any other controlled area. I have come of from the living room/ bedroom and that BRegs said this does not come under there control....Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom