1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amps on 24/7 query

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pezerinno, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I have often wondered this - it is generally considered better to keep the amplifier on 24/7 - is this on as in standby on or on on (if that makes sense :D ) ?

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Depends on the amp. Naims amps need to be on 24/7 or they sound terrible. Others can manage with a ten minute warm up.Valves can be used straight away.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    This one gets asked quite often,and a search here will give you the varying points of view.

As to the comments above,I'd agree re Naim amps,but most older Class A amps would also sound better if left on 24/7,assuming you have a deep enough pocket for the electricity bill for 100W amps burning 500W at idle.

The comment about valve amps is true in that they can be used straight away,but then so can any amp.....what is clear is that virtually all valve amps do need a substantial warm-up prior to any serious listening,and ALL of the valve amps I've owned have been the same(Tube Technology,Lumley,Quad,WAD,Acoustic Research etc etc)...a read through any of the valve related forums will produce the same opinions.

In general then,most amps do sound best when fully warm,tubed or S/S,but the decision to leave them on will depend on the power consumption at idle,and any feelings you have about safety.

4. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    This was brought up a while ago.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As I'd said above....and suggested searching for the various other threads.

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Nick Ive always followed advice from a Sony ES amp manual years ago.

Turn Volume to Zero
    Tunr to standy off (still powered)
    Turn master power button off (off)

Never had a problem with any amp Ive ever owned using this simple procedure when not in use – I don’t even leave my amps in standby mode when not in use, never noticed any problems with any amps Ive owned needing time to “warm up” either. YMMV of course.

7. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    As stated, depends upon the amp.
    I wouldn't leave a valve amp on, partially because of the potential fire risk of it being unattended, partly because of the cost of replacement valves.
    I used to leave my Naim kit permanently on, and certainly leave the Class D replacement for them on all the time, but then my dig amp only uses around 20watt on standby.

I've yet to hear an amp that didn't sound better when warmed up, and that includes my all dig unit.

8. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    i had this query with my LINN amp , the LINN preamp had a main swith power button. so you couldnt turn it on and off via a remote , you phsyically had to switch it on at the preamp, which was a bit annoying as mine is behind glass doors in a cabinet,t so i rang LINN direct, they said it doesnt do any harm to leave it on 24/7 but wouldnt recommend it because for safety/fire reasons

9. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the replies. I tend to switch my amp off completely every night and have it on standby during the day turning it full on about half an hour before I listen. I might test whether I can hear any difference between leaving it on all the time. Its a bit of a habbit turning it off though, I feel like I'm wasting energy (although not sure if uses much when just idling).

10. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    i always leave my kit on 24/7 - and my electricity bill (using a card) ,works out at about 20 quid a month which is fine...

tho - my power amp just fits into my rack (not much ventalation - so I'll have to keep an eye on that...

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

Very nice,but impossible with Class A unfortunately!

12. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well it would appear it takes my Rotel amp I have here at uni takes around 2 hours to warm up - it was left on standby all night, turned it on in thie morning, played music for 5 hours :D and there was definately an improvement to the sound after a couple hours - still not sure about leaving it on over night though. Not sure whether this is the same with my arcam amp at home.