1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amps general questions, power distribution

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Snook, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Snook

Snook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking for amps (2nd hand of ebay/these forums, high powered and low cost :) )

But I am never going to go higher than good quality sereo. (start with a 2 channel setup and move to 2.1)

I am going to start with some B+W 601 S3

and I will add a sub later on.

a few questions...

When a 6 channel amp says its has 50 Watts Per Channel and I only use L and R (for sereo) will the 2 speakers get more power, beacuse the other channels are not being used? Or do only some amps do this?

Are there any companies that make decent power 2.1 amps (this question may be pointless if the answer to number 1 is yes.)

Thanks

Snook

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Any amp that uses an unstabilised supply, that is most of them, will have a slightly increased ouptut capablilty if they are not all used at once however the effect when using only 2 out of 5 channels will be small. Not really worth bothering about.

Never heard of a 2.1 amplifier, which isn't surprising as .1 is meaningless in a 2 channel context. The .1 is the low frequency effects channel for film bangs and thumps and is treated differently from the normal LF content. Any half decent sub will have its own amplifier and filter to enable decent integration with the rest of the system.

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    not meaningless, although i disagree with it, a high quality sub apparantly does wonders for stereo, especially when using smaller stand mounts. although i dont think there are 2.1 amps, you can use L and R preouts on any amp (for example tape record channel) and the sub will filter out the frequencies it wants.

4. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or get a sub with high level inputs, much of a muchness I suppose :)

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    2.1 is meaningless. Even if you used a sub within a stereo system the signal available would still only be 2.0.

The 2.0, 5.1, 6.1 and so on refer to the digital/analogue signal supplied to the amplifier rather than what you do with the signal to feed it into your speaker arrangement. :)