Amplify audio from headphone socket to Amp?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by organdonor, Aug 17, 2013.

1. organdonor

organdonor
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes... I have a TV with a headphone socket and I want to connect this to my analogue amplifier. The sound volume is too low and I have to turn up the volume on the amp so much that the speakers hum. I bought a FiiO E06 Portable Headphone Amplifier which made it better, but it's not enough.

The TV has an optical out, but when I watch BluRays at 23hz (to avoid any juddering of the image) the optical audio is out of sync. The headphone socket, however, is in sync.

Is there any way to amplify the audio signal enough for an amp? (It's a Sugden A21a if that's relevant).

Cheers.

2. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Is there a line out (2 phonos) on either the tv or the bluray player?

That should output higher than the headphone socket.

3. organdonor

organdonor
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sadly not. The TV is this Panasonic Viera. Here is an image from the manual of the available sockets. The only output sockets seem to be the Digital Audio Out (which is out of sync) and the headphone.

4. organdonor

organdonor
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was just poking around the Audio settings of my TV and noticed that there is a headphone volume section. It was set to about 20% I upped it to about 75% and it's fine (100% was distorted).

So in conclusion: I'm an idiot. :)

At least it's fixed now.

5. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hahaha

Anyway, I also had a look at your telly and you might also get a better output (might... depending on source!) If you use the scart adapter and get a scart to phono or scart to 3.5mm jack cable.

Scart is typically line level output so should be better than going through the headphone socket.

Another option would be to buy a cheap hdmi av amp from the classifieds.

6. organdonor

organdonor
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But looking at the back panel image, all the other connectors are inputs, aren't they?

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,580
    Have you tried a different optical lead. Have you double checked menu settings. You are kinda stuck with the HDMI and optical outputs

8. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Scart is designed to have input and output in the one connection. All analogue. It allows for your old freeview recorders and vhs recorder to be plugged in and record live tv.

It will definitely work for the tv audio... but not sure it will work with the bluray one... all depends if the tv converts the copy protected hdmi audio to analogue and outputs it to the scart.

I would definitely try this route as cables on ebay are only a few quid. Try THIS http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=270570346805

You just need to get yourself a scart like the above ensuring its an OUT (make sure you dont buy an IN) and then whatever audio cable you need to go into your amp.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. johngie

johngie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My now ageing Sony Bravia has analog audio outputs that are controllable from the handset. If modern TV's have analog outputs at all, they are invariably fixed level and my Audiolab 8000C doesn't have a remote. So in a future TV I would have to consider the headphone out too.

Possible issues: hum loop; higher distortion (although probably more than acceptable if properly loaded with say 100 ohm and using an attenuator).

On a slightly related note I find that all contemporary CD players that have a Volume button only control the amplifier of their own manufacture - annoyance!