Amplifiers

L

Leo

I'm looking at entry level amps and speakers to pair with my DV636 pioneer DVD which has DTS Dolby decoders, etc..
Can anybody tell me shall I look for an plain amp without decorders, and what would be a good model. Also veiws on speakers I'd like reasonable sound but without having obstrusive large speaker units.
Happy Christmas to all.
Leo

It depends on what you'll listen to the most,music or movies.But I don't think you can go wrong with a Yamaha Amp with built in Decoders.I think the A5 is one and they are great value for the quality you'll get.

if you want to use the decoders inyour 636, you will need an amp/receiver with a 6 channel input. This will take your decoded info from the dvd player, provide amplification for the various channels and speaker terminals for all the channels. An outgoing prologic amp should do fine for this and would be cheap second hand. If you buy new, you may as well buy a modern one with DD and DTS as these will probably sound better than using the decoders in the dvd player.

if you want to use the decoders inyour 636, you will need an amp/receiver with a 6 channel input. This will take your decoded info from the dvd player, provide amplification for the various channels and speaker terminals for all the channels. An outgoing prologic amp should do fine for this and would be cheap second hand. If you buy new, you may as well buy a modern one with DD and DTS as these will probably sound better than using the decoders in the dvd player.

Why won't you try the NAD T750 model? Its great for Stereo music, has analogue DPL built in, and 5.1 Channel in for DTS and DD. Plus all the preouts for all channels and several other features( binding posts for all channels/RDS tuner etc.). It doesn't have many fancy and flashy displays, but where it counts most, it sounds great!

I also have a 636d and are looking closely at the nad t750. I've also been tempted by the arcam av50. As for the DD&DTS performance of the 636 HCO review said:

it is difficult to perceive any difference in terms of separation or dynamic range between the Pioneer and Yamaha DTS performance. Both are equally superb.

That's a comparison with the Yam A1 so I can only think the A5 would be a waste of cash

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom