Amplifiers.......no DAB?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chockswahay, Jan 23, 2008.

1. chockswahay

chockswahay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just bought an Onkyo 605, as a matter of interest why do these type of amplifiers not have DAB radio?

Cheers

Chox

2. BazMan

BazMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Some do, some don't. If you want an amp/receiver with DAB then you buy an amp/receiver with DAB. Simple as.

3. Adam Shaw

Adam Shaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    DAB is strong in the Uk, buit not in mainland Europe. there are also varying formats: AAC, DMB, and different bit rates are used from country to country. Some countries have no DAB support at all.
    For manufacturers to make different country specific versions of AV recievers, which have very small margins on them is simply not feasible for many companies.

4. inicholson

inicholson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    errr... is it just me? Possibly because it's an amplifier, if you want a DAB tuner you'll be needing to buy; a DAB tuner?!

Much the same reason as your fridge has no internet connection. Whaddya mean there are fridges with internet connections?

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    It is just you :)

It is a receiver not just an amp so it is reasonable to ask about receiving the latest radio signals.

It would like defending a receiver only having AM not FM during the cut over from AM radios.

I understand the explanation but it really can't stay this way forever as people paying this sort of money for equipment will not want to be stuck with only FM reception.

6. inicholson

inicholson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I knew that i was just being fascetious (sorry, I'll try not to do it again). I think Adam gave a very good explanation. It's a cost thing, an AV receiver with DAB in it would be pretty market specific and it's simpler for the manufacturers to make one product for all markets. There are AV receivers with DAB tuners in them and there are separate DAB tuners. I guess if you want an AV receiver and you want DAB then you have to comapre a receiver with DAB against cheaper models without to allow you sufficient funds for a separate DAB tuner. Richer Sounds had a couple of DAB tuners at good prices recently (I might even buy one).

It is annoying because it probably costs the manufacturers about a tenner (if that) to put a DAB tuner into the recieiver, but it'll cost us a lot more to buy a separate tuner.

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    It is certainly a tenable stance while DAB is 'new' and adoption is slow, but in the end they will have come up with a solution.

It does feel like a bit of a double standard though when they are providing support for satellite radio but then that is available to some extent in Japan and Korea I believe not just the USA.

Personally I'd be happy to see the radio section dropped completely as I know I'll never use it, can always get radio via Sky if I really need it.

8. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Yamaha do some av amps with dab.

USA has satellite radio but then the population is 300 million.

By the time we get the same av-amp it has less features. They probably don't bother in the UK because of the costs involved in modifying the amp for a the small percentage of customers.

That will have to change though when radio becomes digital only.

They do modify them for British ears which I think is bull**it anyhow.

9. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    That's not likely while we persist with the inefficient system we have now and which is being abandoned everywhere but here and in Denmark.

No date has been set for the closure of FM and given that there is insufficient spectrum for the number of FM stations we have already that is not surprising. Due to the massive inefficiencies of DAB the BBC plans to extend DAB coverage only to 90% of the population. It's currently at 86% so if you haven't got it now you probably never will.

No wonder manufacturers are loathe to invest heavily in it.

10. chockswahay

chockswahay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys, sounds like reasonable enough reasons to me. Apologies for not referring to the receivers as receivers(!).

Cheers

Chox ;)

11. Adam Shaw

Adam Shaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99

Yeah, I rule!

Its a time to market thing too, as most AV recievers brains' are happy to use an FM/AM tuner chip, popping DAB in is a lot of work in software, and we all want to get our products out so we can go to the pub.