Amplifier with manual speaker distance via RS232/IP config

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by illusion, Mar 11, 2013.

1. illusion

illusion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Bit of a strange one here and I've asked a similar question in the past but maybe things have moved on a bit and there are more options out there.

I have a situation where when I'm watching TV I use my speakers in one configuration but when I watch a movie on my Projector I use a different configuration (Rotated 90 degrees using a self built system of relays controlled by the projector 12V trigger)

Now since this setup is pretty much a square anyway the speaker distances aren't massively different and I could take an average of the 2 distances but as we all know if it isn't spot on it will play on my mind even if I can't hear the difference :laugh:

My question is, does anyone know if there are any recent Amplifiers out there 7.2 with HDMI (2x out if possible) 3D compatible that either have different speaker presets/Memory (Sony used to have this) or that are able to be set via an IP or RS232 Protocol.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,958
    The only receivers I know have that allow you to save more than one configuration to their memory for instant recall are those manufactured by Sony.

Some receivers have the facility for saving a setup to a PC, but you'd need copies of both setups saved and you then need to wipe one setup by uploading the other whenever you wanted to switch the configurations. This is a time consuming operation that can take 5 minutes or more to perform.

3. illusion

illusion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Yeah thats the conclusion I'm coming to. I know some of the older Yamaha amps seem to have had speaker distance as a remote configuration option but in the latest YNC/YNCA documents I can find it seems to have vanished.

I can't even tell for sure from the website which of the latest Sony amps support saving the configuration.

4. illusion

illusion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Well after some good old search action it seems like the ES series still have the position memory functions. However it seems like they're in the middle of a transition to a new range. It's either the expensive STR-DA5700ES or STR-DA5800ES. Now I'm assuming that an EU equivalent of the STR-DA2800ES will appear at some point which has a price which should be much easier on the pocket.

Thanks for the reply it's at least helped me not waste my time looking at AVR's that really are never going to cope with my somewhat unique issue.