Amplifier: video inputs? Why?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gary D, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    just a quick question, my new yamaha 620 amp has a number of video inputs on it, can anybody tell me

a, what they are used for?

and

b, why they are useful?

thanks

Gary

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    For video switching between diff. inputs eg. Sky, DVD, VCR,etc. Means you have many video leads into amp, but only one lead out to telly/screen. Cuts down on leads into telly if you only have one scart or run out of scart/s-video inputs.

some love it, others say it degrades the video signal slightly. If you don't need it, use video straight from DVd to telly.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    basically just a convenience.....saves all the leads as nobber says. I would only worry if you are short on inputs on your tv.

ad

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Their usefulness is diminished in the UK as most amps can't switch an RGB signal which is the video signal of choice for DVD and Sky.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ian is surely right. I would prefer that the manufacturers put the money elsewhere, or we got the things cheaper.

ad

6. JaseyJay

JaseyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same amp - I plug my Gamecube and my DVD player into the A / B component inputs and send the monitor output to my component input on my Plasma.

Are they useful - damm right!

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    aaahhh, i understand now, i doubt i will use them though as my big tosh can handle everything.

thanks everybody,

Gary

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help agreeing with buns. I needed to move and re-connect everything to my amp recently and when you actually look at the back of most of them, you realise there's an awful lot there (and inside the casing) that you paid for but which you will almost certainly never use.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Come on guys, as with most features for some they are redundant while for others they are usefull if not necessary.
    So any such discussion is IMHO pointless, because I am sure I could point out some features you want but I think they aren't needed (or at least not usefull for myself).
    Thus I think it's better to have too much connections (like my Yamaha DSP-A1) than too few ...

In case you wonder: I do use the video switching facility.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you feel the convenience factor makes up for the degradation of the signal, however slight?

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    should you not use a viedo processor for video switching, sound processor for sound????

ad

ps. i do

12. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has no one tried routing RGB through the component connections* on the amp?

Isn't the worst thing that can happen is the OSD is a funny colour!! :eek:

In theory the max Cb Cr voltage levels are lower than RGB, but a) I'd expect manufacturers to repeat the same circuit 3 times, and b) video levels don't often reach 100%

Maybe it would just be a further compromise...

An AV amp is a video switcher and a sound processor combined in my simple view.

* - RGB IS a 'component' signal but that is off topic in these discussions. :devil:

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    I can detect no visible degradation via my Denon 3801. My ceiling mounted projector has a single SVideo input (plus a composite that isn't used, and a Component that is directly connected to the DVD.) For my other sources - Laserdisc, SVHS, DVB STB, then YES - absolutely.

I remain convinced that the 'signal degradation' argument is more theoretical (and quite valid, theoretically) than practical. An alternative would be to continually remove and insert plugs into equipment. In time, this would result in wear on the connectors which gives rise to...........signal degradation. Theoretically.

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I turn off the video switching on my A1SE to improve sound quality.

15. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel
    I agree with you as an e.g. the new Denon 3803 will handle 100Mhz bandwidth component for HDTV signals and also display OSD on the component signal! and also allows up conversion from composite >s-video>component
    cheers laurie

16. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    And, why do AV receivers have so many analog audio inputs? Who the hell is ever going to need 7 analog inputs (as on my Marantz SR4200)? I don't need any of them!

When I recently switched from a stereo system to my current system I actually reduced the connections I needed even though I added more equipment!

Whereas the CD player, VCR and tuner all had analog audio connections to my old amp now all I have is one digital lead from my CD player and one from my (new) DVDR. The VCR plugs into the EXT2 scart socket on my DVDR so the audio from it goes to the amp via the DVDRs digital lead aswell. And, since it's a receiver I chucked the tuner.

So, I went from 6 analog connections (3 x 2) to 2 digital ones whilst adding a new bit of kit (DVDR)!

I use my DVDR as a TV tuner aswell and since (as I already mentioned) the VCR is connected to it via SCART I don't need any video switching on my receiver either.

Michael.

17. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am considering buying a Denon 1803. I noticed it has three Svideo outputs. Can these all be used similtaneously, to drive three screens with the selected input.
    And also with the sound?
    Or do the outputs have to be selected individually?
    If this is the case, are there any amps out there that would let me do this?

18. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What are you building - a home cinema system or Ground Control at Houston? :D

Michael.

19. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a lot of partys and spare rooms. Want sound + visuals throughout the house. :p

20. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
    Sure it´s three outputs? Usually there´s a Monitor Out for S-Video, Composite and Component (depending on the amp/receiver). And the amp will only pass one at a time, same with the sound although some amps have multizone/room features so you can have sound in another room. A few amps (Denon A1SR, A1SE (upgraded) & 3803) have a second video output though its only a composite output.

21. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  22. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
  23. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I understand the whole thing with selecting an input source. But will it give me the *same* source 3 times?

24. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
    I don´t think so. I believe only one input/output is active at any one time. Those Video outputs are fixed (Video 1 & 2), so if you select Video 1, 2 gets switched off and vice versa. I´m sure the amp hasn´t the circuitry to pass three video sources in one go. Feel free to correct me anyone!:)

25. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you feel the convenience factor makes up for the degradation of the signal, however slight?

What degradation? None visible. And it's not because of convenience, but a necessity for my setup.

Jase / jamesrich: yes, you can most likely drive 3 screens at the same time. Most people forget that the Video (VCR) out can be used for that purpose, however check that VCR1 and 2 can be used simultaenously - which may not always be the case.
    Don't forget to set the REC OUT selector to the correct source if applicable.

26. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it wasn't a necessity and you had a choice, would you prefer to use just one cable/lead to connect each source item directly or continue to use two cables going through the video switching elements of your amp?

27. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    surely it isnt necessity for anyone! Surely if you can afford a high end av amp, then you can easily afford some sort of video processor like the iscan?

ad

28. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Surely if you buy an expensive AV amp you can/will replace the cheap remote included with a Pronto.

What kind of argumentation is that? And what would an i-scan be of use with my current TV?
    It's not a question of what one can afford, it's a question of what I prefer and where I put my priorities, even though I have to "buy" something (a feature) which I don't intend to use.
    Perhaps you can find someone to tailor a product exactly according to your needs - but you definetely pay a higher, much higher, price for that than choosing an existing (mass market) product with some redundant features.

If it wasn't a necessity and you had a choice, would you prefer to use just one cable/lead to connect each source item directly or continue to use two cables going through the video switching elements of your amp?

Of course I would wire directly, but the point here is for some it's usefull (convenience), for others it's a necessity and others don't need it. At least you are given the option.
    And if you really want I am sure you can find some "high-end" no-frills no feature product - but then don't complain it doesn't have DPLII (just an example). ;)

Or let me ask you this: if you don't want to use THX but you like the sound and want all the other features and connectivity of a Denon AVC-A1SR, would you still buy it or rather choose a competitor's product without the THX which perhaps doesn't sound as good and it's even 100 quid cheaper?
    Assuming of course those 100 quid don't break the bank.

Well, I guess you know what I would do - and even though I don't use any of the 54 (or so) DSP modes in my amp I would not have choosen another model at the time because it did offer all the other things I wanted. :cool:

29. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, different people think differently. I just strongly believe in separating the tasks. I have a differnt machine for almost everything.

ad

30. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
    Thanks for clearing that up Reiner.:) Can´t say I´ve ever used the VCR outs.:blush: