Amplifier: video inputs? Why?

Gary D

Distinguished Member
just a quick question, my new yamaha 620 amp has a number of video inputs on it, can anybody tell me

a, what they are used for?

and

b, why they are useful?

thanks

Gary

Nobber22

For video switching between diff. inputs eg. Sky, DVD, VCR,etc. Means you have many video leads into amp, but only one lead out to telly/screen. Cuts down on leads into telly if you only have one scart or run out of scart/s-video inputs.

some love it, others say it degrades the video signal slightly. If you don't need it, use video straight from DVd to telly.

buns

Banned
basically just a convenience.....saves all the leads as nobber says. I would only worry if you are short on inputs on your tv.

ad

Ian J

Banned
Their usefulness is diminished in the UK as most amps can't switch an RGB signal which is the video signal of choice for DVD and Sky.

buns

Banned
Ian is surely right. I would prefer that the manufacturers put the money elsewhere, or we got the things cheaper.

ad

J

JaseyJay

Originally posted by Garyd
just a quick question, my new yamaha 620 amp has a number of video inputs on it, can anybody tell me

a, what they are used for?

and

b, why they are useful?

thanks

Gary

I have the same amp - I plug my Gamecube and my DVD player into the A / B component inputs and send the monitor output to my component input on my Plasma.

Are they useful - damm right!

Gary D

Distinguished Member
aaahhh, i understand now, i doubt i will use them though as my big tosh can handle everything.

thanks everybody,

Gary

J

juboy

Originally posted by buns
I would prefer that the manufacturers put the money elsewhere, or we got the things cheaper.

I can't help agreeing with buns. I needed to move and re-connect everything to my amp recently and when you actually look at the back of most of them, you realise there's an awful lot there (and inside the casing) that you paid for but which you will almost certainly never use.

Reiner

Come on guys, as with most features for some they are redundant while for others they are usefull if not necessary.
So any such discussion is IMHO pointless, because I am sure I could point out some features you want but I think they aren't needed (or at least not usefull for myself).
Thus I think it's better to have too much connections (like my Yamaha DSP-A1) than too few ...

In case you wonder: I do use the video switching facility.

J

juboy

Originally posted by Reiner
In case you wonder: I do use the video switching facility.

Do you feel the convenience factor makes up for the degradation of the signal, however slight?

buns

Banned
should you not use a viedo processor for video switching, sound processor for sound????

ad

ps. i do

kevenh

Standard Member
Has no one tried routing RGB through the component connections* on the amp?

Isn't the worst thing that can happen is the OSD is a funny colour!! :eek:

In theory the max Cb Cr voltage levels are lower than RGB, but a) I'd expect manufacturers to repeat the same circuit 3 times, and b) video levels don't often reach 100%

Maybe it would just be a further compromise...

An AV amp is a video switcher and a sound processor combined in my simple view.

* - RGB IS a 'component' signal but that is off topic in these discussions. :devil:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by juboy
Do you feel the convenience factor makes up for the degradation of the signal, however slight?
I can detect no visible degradation via my Denon 3801. My ceiling mounted projector has a single SVideo input (plus a composite that isn't used, and a Component that is directly connected to the DVD.) For my other sources - Laserdisc, SVHS, DVB STB, then YES - absolutely.

I remain convinced that the 'signal degradation' argument is more theoretical (and quite valid, theoretically) than practical. An alternative would be to continually remove and insert plugs into equipment. In time, this would result in wear on the connectors which gives rise to...........signal degradation. Theoretically.

Jeff

Distinguished Member
I turn off the video switching on my A1SE to improve sound quality.

laurie

Standard Member
I remain convinced that the 'signal degradation' argument is more theoretical (and quite valid, theoretically) than practical.
Nigel
I agree with you as an e.g. the new Denon 3803 will handle 100Mhz bandwidth component for HDTV signals and also display OSD on the component signal! and also allows up conversion from composite >s-video>component
cheers laurie

michaelab

And, why do AV receivers have so many analog audio inputs? Who the hell is ever going to need 7 analog inputs (as on my Marantz SR4200)? I don't need any of them!

When I recently switched from a stereo system to my current system I actually reduced the connections I needed even though I added more equipment!

Whereas the CD player, VCR and tuner all had analog audio connections to my old amp now all I have is one digital lead from my CD player and one from my (new) DVDR. The VCR plugs into the EXT2 scart socket on my DVDR so the audio from it goes to the amp via the DVDRs digital lead aswell. And, since it's a receiver I chucked the tuner.

So, I went from 6 analog connections (3 x 2) to 2 digital ones whilst adding a new bit of kit (DVDR)!

I use my DVDR as a TV tuner aswell and since (as I already mentioned) the VCR is connected to it via SCART I don't need any video switching on my receiver either.

Michael.

jamesrich

I am considering buying a Denon 1803. I noticed it has three Svideo outputs. Can these all be used similtaneously, to drive three screens with the selected input.
And also with the sound?
Or do the outputs have to be selected individually?
If this is the case, are there any amps out there that would let me do this?

jamesrich

Originally posted by michaelab
What are you building - a home cinema system or Ground Control at Houston? :D

Michael.

I have a lot of partys and spare rooms. Want sound + visuals throughout the house. :p

Jase

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by jamesrich
I am considering buying a Denon 1803. I noticed it has three Svideo outputs. Can these all be used similtaneously, to drive three screens with the selected input.
And also with the sound?
Or do the outputs have to be selected individually?
If this is the case, are there any amps out there that would let me do this?

Sure it´s three outputs? Usually there´s a Monitor Out for S-Video, Composite and Component (depending on the amp/receiver). And the amp will only pass one at a time, same with the sound although some amps have multizone/room features so you can have sound in another room. A few amps (Denon A1SR, A1SE (upgraded) & 3803) have a second video output though its only a composite output.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by jamesrich
I understand the whole thing with selecting an input source. But will it give me the *same* source 3 times?

I don´t think so. I believe only one input/output is active at any one time. Those Video outputs are fixed (Video 1 & 2), so if you select Video 1, 2 gets switched off and vice versa. I´m sure the amp hasn´t the circuitry to pass three video sources in one go. Feel free to correct me anyone!:)

Reiner

What degradation? None visible. And it's not because of convenience, but a necessity for my setup.

Jase / jamesrich: yes, you can most likely drive 3 screens at the same time. Most people forget that the Video (VCR) out can be used for that purpose, however check that VCR1 and 2 can be used simultaenously - which may not always be the case.
Don't forget to set the REC OUT selector to the correct source if applicable.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton