Amplifier v all in one streamer

Thanks for all this, my big problem is that I'm new to this and my current Panasonic pmx152 is advertised as 120 watts RMS so when I looked at the Marantz pm7000n it appears no more powerful.

I understand that manufacturers of systems such as my Panasonic aren't that honest about the specs such as watts power output. This why I was thinking of the Muso or CX81 solution.

Could you explain because I do like the look of the Marantz as it would enable me to spend a bit more on speakers.
As mentioned watt is not always important, it is the amplifier current that is important.

Some of the best amplifier only has 20 watts!

Depending if you have very efficient speakers, not so efficient speakers you probably need between 20-40 watts depending room size, sitting distance.

Still I’d go for amplifier between 50-100 watts.

You get more headroom if you have an amplifier that is more powerful.

And depending on which sound you like, then there are several options.

Marantz is very warm sounding. Rolled of treble. Midrange is tad forward but still relaxing to listen to in the long run, and the bass is fuller sounding then most amplifiers. Vocals particularly are stunning.

Denon, Arcam,Rega, Yamaha also remind a bit of Marantz but perhaps a tad more dynamic.

Cambridge, Rotel are probably the most neutral of the bunch.

Still I don’t you we’ll be disappointed if you buy the Powernode 2i. Stunning sound.

They are NAD sister company so they know what they are doing. Probably around 30 years experience, which Bluesound engineers have learned from the NAD-team.

Speaking of NAD, they have several amplifiers with build in streaming. Perhaps the most expensive amplifiers of the alternatives I’ve mentioned.

But the benefits with NAD is that I believe they are one the few who have full bass management, which you can connect a subwoofer should you need that. By that I mean crossover settings build inside the amplifiers. Many amps support pre out, but NAD are more advanced in that area.

But it has been some years ago I’ve listed to NAD new amplifiers range, so I let other comment regarding NAD’s sound quality etc.

But from reading online they should sound very good.

They you just need to add speakers.

Dali, Dynaudio, KEF, Monitor Audio, B&W are very good speakers. Probably the most popular speakers on the market. Others may disagree.

In the end I recommend you to listen to the amplifiers etc in your own listing room, that is the only way you can really decide which sound you like.

And depending on which sound you like, then there are several options.

Marantz is very warm sounding. Rolled of treble. Midrange is tad forward but still relaxing to listen to in the long run, and the bass is fuller sounding then most amplifiers. Vocals particularly are stunning.

Denon, Arcam,Rega, Yamaha also remind a bit of Marantz but perhaps a tad more dynamic.

Cambridge, Rotel are probably the most neutral of the bunch.

Still I don’t you we’ll be disappointed if you buy the Powernode 2i. Stunning sound.

They are NAD sister company so they know what they are doing. Probably around 30 years experience, which Bluesound engineers have learned from the NAD-team.

Speaking of NAD, they have several amplifiers with build in streaming. Perhaps the most expensive amplifiers of the alternatives I’ve mentioned.

But the benefits with NAD is that I believe they are one the few who have full bass management, which you can connect a subwoofer should you need that. By that I mean crossover settings build inside the amplifiers. Many amps support pre out, but NAD are more advanced in that area.

But it has been some years ago I’ve listed to NAD new amplifiers range, so I let other comment regarding NAD’s sound quality etc.

But from reading online they should sound very good.

They you just need to add speakers.

Dali, Dynaudio, KEF, Monitor Audio, B&W are very good speakers. Probably the most popular speakers on the market. Others may disagree.

In the end I recommend you to listen to the amplifiers etc in your own listing room, that is the only way you can really decide which sound you like.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have decided to go for the Marantz PM7000N and Monitor audio silver 100's.

Follow-up. If you want an all-in-one that includes everything from streamer to power amp, then the Bluesound Powernode may be worth looking at. Just add speakers. Latest version is here - Bluesound POWERNODE (2021 Version) Hi-Res Wireless Music Streamer / Amplifier
This 2021 version means the earlier version will be available used (or discounted new) at good prices.
I’m listening to the 2i version now. Very nice. Hypex amplifier. But he wanted input for a turntable, so he went with something else.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have decided to go for the Marantz PM7000N and Monitor audio silver 100's.
Let us know how you get on with them. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom