Amplifier suggestions

Danglebadger

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a Cambridge audio A5 amp driving a pair of AE Aegis Evo 3 floorstanders.

I use either a Cambridge audio D300se CD player or a chromecast audio as the source.

My question is if you were going to upgrade the amplifier, how far is it worth going before the source and speakers will be the limiting factor?

I'd rather go second hand and have been considering things like a Cambridge audio cxa60 / rega brio r /quad vena but I don't want to waste money buying something too good for the rest of the system.

The current tone is quite nice but I'd love a bit more midrange punch and also a remote control would be a welcome upgrade!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

If you like the A5 (im assuming you have the mark 1) but want a remote and dont mind second hand, go for an A500. The A500 was replaced and the Azur 540 v1 which was the same price as the A500, then Azur 540 v2 , then Azur 550.

Those amps you mention are probably more than capable of driving better speakers if you upgrade the speakers in the future.

What's your budget?

Budget is around £200 - £400

Doesn't need to be as powerful as the A5 as I rarely use more than 50% volume and the evo 3 are quite easy to drive at approx 90db

Also, I'd like a headphone out if possible?

Would it be worth me looking for an amp with optical input for use with the chromecast or would I be unlikely to notice any improvement in audio over the analogue signal?

I thought chromecast only outputs through HDMI?

The CCA has an adequate dac but I have found using an external dac did improve the sound, not hugely but it was better. However, external dacs are easy to find and range from £20-£20000 so if you find an amp you like and it does not have a built in dac then that would not be a deal breaker for me.

Good to know that the cca dac is okay, I'll stop worrying whether the amp has a digital input for now then and just look for an improvement in sound plus remote and headphone out.

If this is still available it may be worth a PM -

Marantz PM17 mk2 £400

or if you want to stick with Cambridge audio there are three CXA60's on Gumtree for £350-400, all pretty new.

Last edited:
It's at the top of your budget range, but this might be right up your alley. The American .com site, here, has the full-fledged description that its UK counterpart lacks. Some things include:

A DAC
aptX Bluetooth
Optical and Coaxial Inputs
A passive sub out

Looks all-around pretty solid, and seems to have good reviews from various sites, which you may want to Google.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If this is still available it may be worth a PM -

Marantz PM17 mk2 £400

or if you want to stick with Cambridge audio there are three CXA60's on Gumtree for £350-400, all pretty new.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Do you think the rest of my system will allow the amplifier upgrade to be audible?

I guess I won't know until I try!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom