Amplifier started cutting out/switching off

basilfaulty

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Onkyo A9030 amplifier which is now just over five years old. Just after the lockdown started the amplifier cut out but then it was working again and cut out again. At some point I couldn't get it to work at all so I disconnected it and connected my Cambridge AM10 and was waiting for the lockdown restrictions to end so I could take the Onkyo to get looked at.

Now that shops are about to re-open I thought I'd try and see if the amp was still not working and I have managed to get it playing again. Yesterday it did seem to switch itself off after about half an hour but switched back on using the remote control right away and is playing right now.

I am playing music from iTunes on my computer through a DLink media streaming plug which is what I have always used with this amplifier. The amp has just switched off completely after about 15 minutes and I was able to switch it back on right away so there is definitely something going on. Any advice would be appreciated.

It sounds like (pun intended) some part has aged a bit much.
The good news is that a decent repair place may well be able to fix it.

thanks and yes that could be it. A friend of mine has read the instruction manual and pointed out that there is an auto-standby function on this amplifier and mine is enabled so it could be related to that although it shouldn't switch off unless no operation is detected for 30 minutes...

Some components age faster than others, repair services are used to that kind of thing.
Maybe ask the local Richer Sounds, they may be able to get it done even if you haven't bought it from them.

I did buy it from RS and with a five-year warranty which expired just before the problems started. When I spoke to them the other day the guy suggested I try a nearby repair shop as RS in Edinburgh hasn't reopened yet but is due to reopen soon I think.

Everything I need to know about this problem ... you haven't told me.

HEAT - are you in any way restricting the Heat Dissipation (cooling) of the Amp? Is anything ON the Amp? Is the Amp placed in a small contained Space?

RESET - Check the Manual and find out if there is a way to Reset the Amp. This is not likely but some amps have this feature.

CONNECTED - list every device connected to the Amp? Have to checked wire and cable to make sure they are not a problem. Especially Speaker Wire.

Will the Amp shut down even if you are not using it? That is, turn it on with no music playing, and simply let it sit there. Does it eventually shut down?

Whether Yes or No, disconnect everything from the Amp, either all at once or one by one depending on how much time you have. If you disconnect everything, turn the amp on, and simply let it sit, does it shut down?

If it is OK with everything disconnected. Then reconnect everything one item at a time until the problem reoccurs. Start with just the Amp and Speakers, then, assuming it is OK, start adding things to the system until you determine the problem component.

I could be the Amp is simply bad, but we can't know that until we have eliminated all other possibilities.

Are your speaker wires connected by bare wire or Banana Plugs? Worth knowing.

How LOUD are you playing? Do you have anyway of measuring how loud you are playing? What is the position of the Volume Dial while you are Playing?

Have you looked inside the Amp to see if it is clogged up with Dust?

Have you by chance cut or stripped any speaker wire near the amp?

Is is possible that some foreign object (very small) has fallen into the Amp?

Is it possible that anyone has spilled Soda or other sweet drink into or onto the Amp? Has anyone spilled Water onto or into the Amp?

What is under the Amp? Carpet? Shelf? Foam? What?

Do you have teenagers?

Does the Amp SMELL? If so what does it smell like? Does it smell like hot burning lacquer? Does it smell like hot/burning/melting plastic? Burning wood? Hot Metal? Or whatever?

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Very thorough.

Everything I need to know about this problem ... you haven't told me.

HEAT - are you in any way restricting the Heat Dissipation (cooling) of the Amp? Is anything ON the Amp? Is the Amp placed in a small contained Space? no nothing the amp sits on a shelf of a TV unit with a gap above of 1.5 inches or more where it has sat all the time since I bought it

RESET - Check the Manual and find out if there is a way to Reset the Amp. This is not likely but some amps have this feature. no reset feature

CONNECTED - list every device connected to the Amp? Have to checked wire and cable to make sure they are not a problem. Especially Speaker Wire. two speakers and phono input from streaming plug

Will the Amp shut down even if you are not using it? That is, turn it on with no music playing, and simply let it sit there. Does it eventually shut down? yes it will shut down when no music is playing auto-standby is enabled

Whether Yes or No, disconnect everything from the Amp, either all at once or one by one depending on how much time you have. If you disconnect everything, turn the amp on, and simply let it sit, does it shut down? I have to try this yet

If it is OK with everything disconnected. Then reconnect everything one item at a time until the problem reoccurs. Start with just the Amp and Speakers, then, assuming it is OK, start adding things to the system until you determine the problem component.

I could be the Amp is simply bad, but we can't know that until we have eliminated all other possibilities.

Are your speaker wires connected by bare wire or Banana Plugs? Worth knowing. with banana plugs

How LOUD are you playing? Do you have anyway of measuring how loud you are playing? What is the position of the Volume Dial while you are Playing? I am not playing it very loud just at a comfortable volume.

Have you looked inside the Amp to see if it is clogged up with Dust? no I haven't opened it up

Have you by chance cut or stripped any speaker wire near the amp? no

Is is possible that some foreign object (very small) has fallen into the Amp? no

Is it possible that anyone has spilled Soda or other sweet drink into or onto the Amp? Has anyone spilled Water onto or into the Amp? no not possible

What is under the Amp? Carpet? Shelf? Foam? What? the amp is on a shelf of a TV unit with a gap above the amp of at least 1.5 inches

Do you have teenagers? no I have no children

Does the Amp SMELL? If so what does it smell like? Does it smell like hot burning lacquer? Does it smell like hot/burning/melting plastic? Or whatever? no it doesn't smell of anything

Just a few thoughts. I think I should try it with the auto-standby switched off

Steve/bluewizard

1.5 inches could be better.
Few higher end amplifiers have fans because the users would whinge complain about something they can't hear so you are relying on convection cooling.

1.5 inches could be better.
That does ring alarm bells with me as well. Dust may very well have entered, that generates more heat which in turn makes it harder for that 1.5 inches to dissipate.

I have a couple of Noctua 120mm fans running at 5V on my AVR.
Their 12V operating life is 100,000 hours!

I have a couple of Noctua 120mm fans running at 5V on my AVR.
Their 12V operating life is 100,000 hours!

I had a couple of small 60mm computer fans on my system when I had it in a very tight space. These were 12v fan but I ran them at 9v to keep the quieter. Worked very well. Keep in mind that convection heat rises, so I had my fans pulling air OUT of the Amp.

view

The Fans are directly above the Heat Sinks. In my case, my amp had a Switched AC Socket on the back, so the small Power Supply running the Fan came on when the Amp came on. Very handy, but that AC Electrical Socket is not very common on many modern amps.

I think if you check the Owner's Manual it will say it needs close to 3" on the Top and Sides.

As to dirt or dust inside the amp, while it is not that hard to take the cover off, you could just shine a light into the vents and see if you see any accumulated Dust.

I could potentially be a fault in the Auto-Standby, so disable that if you can.

If you open the Amp, remember in the area of the Power Supply there is expose AC Line Voltage, so be very careful. Many amps when the Shut Off are not truly Shut Off, but are on standby. Typically the Power Switch will shut the amp truly off. And of course Pulling the Plug assures there is no Live AC Line Voltage in the Amp.

You can use a soft natural fiber paint brush to loosen dust and a can of Canned Air to blow it away.

Let us know what you find.

Steve/bluewizard

BTW, I used 5V because I had a spare phone charger.
The chargers last longer than the phones!

If you open the Amp, remember in the area of the Power Supply there is expose AC Line Voltage, so be very careful. Many amps when the Shut Off are not truly Shut Off, but are on standby. Typically the Power Switch will shut the amp truly off. And of course Pulling the Plug assures there is no Live AC Line Voltage in the Amp.
And don't forget that even if an amp is fully disconnected from the mains, its big power supply capacitors might still be holding a charge - and they can pack quite a punch.

Leaving it unplugged for a few minutes should deal with that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom