1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amplifier Settings (A good place to start)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Just_Dabbling, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I was wondering if any body can help me. I purchased some home cinema equipment a little while ago and as yet (with room problems, babys etc) have not managed to set it up to my liking.

I have purchased the Utliatme DVD Platinum (found a good deal) but I'm not sure what should be tweaked with for sound, and what should be left well alone.

My equipment is as follows

Yamaha DSP-AX620
    Accoustic Energy Aegis 1 (left and right main)
    Accoustic Energy Aegis Centre (explains itself)
    Accoustic Energy Compacts (left and right rear)
    Yamaha Sub (forget the model at the moment)

Can anyone recommend a good place to start, I know that levels are important, and I am trying to source an SPL meter (don't trust my ears) to get them right, but I don't know if anything else should be changed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dabbling !

2. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got a SPL Meter from Cornwall Electronics and they were very prompt in delivering it

http://www.cornwallelectronics.co.u...2&ps_session=f7a01cd5639b955774adbbc5acb9991e

The SPL Meter costs £24.99 inc delivery but remember to buy a 9v square battery because it is not supplied with one.

Basically, I don't tend to tinker with the settings apart from the speaker levels so the sound is balanced, and delay times (in the case of Yamaha amps, the main delay setting if there are general lip sync problems)

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Couldn't agree more, get yourself an SPL meter. Maplins usually have them in stock if you have them in stock if you don't like mail order. I got my Radio Shack meter on the net from Keene electronics.

As regards delay times, you should allow 1ms for each foot that your mains are farther than your rears ie if your mains are 8ft away and your rears are 6ft then 8-6=2ms. This holds for DD/DTS, prologic will automatically add 20ms.

Keep the delay for your centre at 0ms, unless it really is an awful lot closer than your mains, or else you'll probably notice some lip-sync problems.

Also make sure all your speakers are set to small and bass out to SW, not main or both.

Give these settings a bash, hopefully they'll help.

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, nearly forgot.

I'm pretty sure you can't bypass the crossover on your Yamaha sub (I've had one) so turn the crossover up to the highest frequency. Your amp will filter the appropriate signals that the sub should be receiving so there's no point the sub trying to do the same (it'll add unneccessary distortion also).

In the fullness of time I'd also recommend that you buy/beg/borrow a copy of Avia DVD - much, much better for system setup - but you're going along the right lines.

Cheers

5. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for all you help, I only have one question, what do you mean by "main delay"

Sorry to be a thicky, but I wanted to get it sorted.

Thanks

6. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The main delay basically delays the whole signal going to all the speakers so the sound matches up with whats going on on the screen.

You can alter the main delay by selecting the delay time from the setup menu.

The centre delay on the other hand only needs to be altered if you do not have all the front speakers the same distance away from you. Most of the time you would not need to touch this.

7. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, I'll have a go when I get home this evening !