• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amplifier seems to have lost power, esp with vinyl...?

bill radley

Hi, I am still running my old Technics midi system from the mid 80's. The amplifier (60 watts) doesn't seem to play as loud as I recall it did...and this is especially noticed with vinyl. I am having to crank it almost to the top. Speakers seem to be working OK. Is this possible?? And why?? Could it be an issue with the turntable? Thank you for any thoughts!

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
With a TT source, your unspecified "old technics midi system from the mid 80's" needs to have a bespoke "phono" input matched to the equally unspecified TT. Whilst most systems of that age did have such an option, there is no way anybody here can tell if your specific model might have done so.
Check your Technics to see if it does and that you're using it for the TT.

If it has suddenly stopped working, then it's quite possible that something is broken. It cold be the TT, but it might be elsewhere.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom