Amplifier / Processor Choices ? Audiolab Av8000/8000x7

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Import racer, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Import racer

Import racer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi I Wonder If Anyone can give me some advice on the audiolab or other amps.
    I Have Seen The Audiolab Combo For £1000 And Would Like To Upgrade From Yamaha A1 ,arcam Alpha 8p, arcam P75 And Cambridge P500, Behringer 3 Way Active Studio X-over through Kef Q55 , Q60 ,and 2xq95c And Paradigm And Kef Subs with arcam dv79 , dv88+ ,pioneer pdr 555rw ,pdr 609 and arcam cd82 for sources .
    I Really Like The Sound But Isnt quite Loud Enough.
    I Dont Have The Money For Av9 And P7 ,But Wish A Very Simular Sound To What I Have Now , But Much Louder. If Someone Has Any Ideas For Me ?
    Maybe Rotel 1075 ,parasound 5 Channel Or Arcam P1000 Or If The Audiolab Would Be Good Enough ?. I Like The Warm Sound But Not In The Low Bass.
    Any Ideas ? Would Be Very Gratefull As There Arent Any Good Reviews Online For Audiolab Except In German
    Thanks

2. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I can't comment on how the Audiolab combo will compare with your existing setup.

I own the Audiolab 8000AV and 8000X7 and I'm really pleased with it. The sound might not be as warm as you are used to, but I personally like the very transparent and detailed sound. My Mission E83 fronts used to sound a bit boomy with my old AVreceiver (only a CA 540R) and the improvement in timing and pace of the bass is very noticeable with the Audiolab gear, not to mention vastly improved detail and imaging.

Hard to say whether it will be loud enough. My 8000X7 is bridged to provide 2x150W to the fronts and 100W to the centre and rears. These are genuine, all channels driven watts rather than one at a time and it's more than powerful enough for me!

What reviews have you seen?

The only UK one I'm aware of is the WHC one where they praised the combo for the big & bold, detailed, expansive and unburstable sound but it dropped a star for not having an 'old fashioned' range of features.

3. Import racer

Import racer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for the reply, i ve only seen the badly translated german reveiw
    as what hifi dont put them online ? the germans seem to like it ?
    i may go for a couple of rotels, and new processor ? instead though so i can still tri-amp as this makes loads of difference and the cross-over is great and has full control and extra dbs
    but nice to hear what someone thinks.

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    for the money the Audiolab combo would be hard to beat, the power amp is worth that alone and if you ever want to u/g the processor in the future should hold its own

5. Import racer

Import racer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi thanks for your advice unfortunatley, the amp wont run into 4 ohms and i tri-amp, so i have purchased a Parasound 1205 and a Nad 216 thx as these should work no problem. Aslo it maybe a little neutal for my taste as im used to Arcams. maybe in a few years when they mature i may try another.

steveb

6. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi Steveb,

What do you make of the NAD? What is the sound like?

7. Import racer

Import racer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi i have nt received the amp yet, should get it in the week, it has great reveiws on the net so hopfully should be good.
    Its surpposed to have good midrange, i m going to try a few differrent things propably use it for mid bass maybe tweeters.
    Will let you know.

steveb

8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Look forward to your thoughts, Hopefully will be getting a 1205 to go with my arcam 350.

Have you got yours yet?

9. Import racer

Import racer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi phil i have nt received that either, it should arrive in the week also,
    i dont think the neighbours are going to like it much !
    i will let you know what i think ?

steveb

10. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    I combined the Arcam AV9 with the P1000. Perhaps this combination would work for you and remain in your budget if you stretch a bit? (I wasn't impressed with the Audiolab preprocessor or the Arcam AVP700).