1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amplifier output to two component devices - anyone done this?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by simon1967, Jun 25, 2003.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Denon AVC A1SR which allows 3 component in but only one component out. I want to connect both the plasma and the projector with the component connections and to switch devices through the amplifier but .....

it only outputs to a single component device. :thumbsdow So how do I connect both devices to the amp. A wierd piece of advice was to use gold phono splitters that are used in car installations which in theory should work but wondered if anyone has had the same problem and how they solved it. I mean, it's not that unusual to want to connect to both a tv and projector ...

Thanks for listening

simon :confused:

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In theory, the phono splitters or "Y" leads should be just fine.
    There may be a slight signal loss but it should work.

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought of running SVID on one and component on the other?

4. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I looked into that. Run component to the projector and s-video to the plasma but then if I run component from the DVD to the amp, then I won't be able to view DVDs on the plasma. The Denon will only upconvert signals and won't convert down i.e. if I have only component connections from the DVD, it will not output to s-video. :thumbsdow

Another thought just occurred to me - is it possible to run two sets of connections from the DVD to the amp i.e both s-video and component? Will the amplifier just see the higher quality component connection and still not recognise the s-video? If this would work then, I could run s-video to the plasma and component to the projector ..... this is getting more confusing by the minute :confused:

simon

5. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's what I do with my rotel amp. The DVD player outputs both component and s-video, the amp then switches both set's so in effect I get S-video to TV (upstairs) at the same time I can have component to the pj.

6. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You should not use a Y splitter with video because it is a impedance matched circuit. This works ok with audio because audio outputs are low inpedance < 100 ohms and audio inputs are high impedance > 10K ohms. However video inputs are impedance matched to preven reflections on the line. 75 ohms at the output and 75 ohms at the input. If you use a splitter you will be attching two 75 ohm loads in parrallel this will be 37.5 ohms the effect of this is that you will get a 6db loss to each input. i.e it will be half as bright as it shoudl be. The other problem is that the reflection from each of the loads may affect the other display causing a slight ghosting of the image.

The correct way to do this would be to use a component video distribution amplifer. Such as this one http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/prod05.htm.

Regards,
    Andrew

7. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for saving me some more pennies on useless (but expensive) bits of equipment that will end up in my cables box...

Couldn't link to this product for some reason. How much are we talking about for this device?

I think I have two options open to me now. Run s-video and component cables from the dvd player to the amp : the plasma using the s-video and the projector using the component.

The other option I will check on is to run RGB scart from the DVD directly to the plasma and bypass the amp altogether. This is depending on whether my plasma accepts RGB signals? Anyone know how this option will affect the video switching if this monitor is not routed through the amplifier.

Thanks again

simon