• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amplifier needed

Muggs

Standard Member
:hiya:

I recently bought two Eltax Galaxy 200w (each) floor standing speakers.

To make picture clear from the beginning, i just have the speakers, nothing, even i don't have cables to go with em.

I'm planning to add some extras like sub. rear and center speakers to go with 'em as well in the future, so that's why i would need a nice amplifier to cover all the power, and i would like to get the sound from the TV as well.

So i assumed i would need amplifier to cover at least with 600W. is that correct?

As you already might have noticed I'm a beginner with all this stuff so it would be much appreciated if someone would take some time and get me through the steps to help me get going.

i was looking around and found stuff like that. what do you think...

Auna 5.1 Surround Sound Receiver Hifi Amplifier 600W

VRX VR4002C 400W Amplifier Chrome VRX 400WATT AMP SCP on eBay (end time 10-Jun-11 13:27:14 BST)

AUNA 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AMPLIFIER RECEIVER 600W NEW | eBay UK

please make your own suggestions.

and btw i havent found Galaxy products other than those speakers i got.

regards,
Muggs

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
All those amps you are looking at I would doubt if they could produce 30watts per channel let alone 100watts.
Like all-in-one systems they may state 600watts as they have 6 channels but that would be 100watts to one channel and basically none to the others.
They also do not state if they do decoding (DTS, Dolby digital) and the clue is the lack of optical inputs.
Stay with Sony, Onyko, Yamaha and Pioneer etc.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The middle amp (Chrome) one is a car amp so would not be suitable for your amplification and the other (Auna) does not have any HDMI/Optical/Coaxial inputs so will not give any of the proper surround sound formats i.e. DD/DTS or HD audio. I would not touch any of the ones you have looked at so far as they will be a waste of money.
Any proper AV reciever will have more than enough power to run your speakers and any other speakers you buy in the future so do not worry there.
What is your budget for this reciever? What are your sources (do you have DVD/Bluray/PS3 etc.)? nAre you happy to go secondhand?
Something like a budget reciever from Yamaha/Sony/Onkyo will be suitable for your needs. If happy to go secondhand then look at Yamaha 465, Sony 800, Onkyo 507, Denon 1610. Also look at Onkyo 508/509, Sony 810, Denon 1611 and Yamaha 467/471.

potshot

Take a look here at richersounds what will give you an idea what you should be looking at and if you see something you like search the web to see if you can get it cheaper and seeing they have so many branches all over the country it will make it easier for you to see what you want in the flesh and listen it and they will have everything you need.

I can see your budget is tight but don't go for some cheap rubbish what will be a complete waste of your money, keep to the major brands like denon, yamaha, onkyo and pioneer and you won't go wrong.

Take a look here AV Receivers | Home Cinema Separates | Richer Sounds

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Both those recievers will do what you want. The Sony is a year or so older than the Denon so the price should reflect this. Also the Denon has upconversion which if you have any analogue video sources (like a Wii) can be useful as it will convert the video to the HDMI output so you only need one cable from reciever to TV. The 800 does not have upconversion so you would need to run another composite or component video cable as well.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would still go for the Denon. The Sony 100 is a stereo amp so will probably not have all the connectivity you will need in the future. It will also not give you surround sound in the future if you wanted to extend your system. The Sony 500 is again a bottom of the range model from a year or so ago and I do not think it does audio over HDMI which is a major negative so again I would avoid.

Muggs

Standard Member
alright thank you for your help guys. :clap::smashin:

still if anyone has an answer to the question why i cant find any more Eltax Galaxy speakers around than the ones i ve got. is the Galaxy brand only for those speakers or what ever reason. :)

anyways thanks a lot guys u've given me lots of help and prob saved my some money as well :thumbsup:

mykyll2727

alright thank you for your help guys. :clap::smashin:

still if anyone has an answer to the question why i cant find any more Eltax Galaxy speakers around than the ones i ve got. is the Galaxy brand only for those speakers or what ever reason. :)

anyways thanks a lot guys u've given me lots of help and prob saved my some money as well :thumbsup:

I did a quick google search and found some other models. The Concept 180 for example._Mike

potshot

My old denon 3801 drove my kef reference speakers 4omhs 200w speakers without a problem and my 200c 4ohm centre speaker plus 4 other rear speakers with ease and the 3801 channels were near the same of the 1610of 120w into 6ohms something around there. When it comes to companiers like denon their amps will perform to their stated specifications whereas a cheap chinese amp will give up before it probably reaches 50% of the stated power.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
My old denon 3801 drove my kef reference speakers 4omhs 200w speakers without a problem and my 200c 4ohm centre speaker plus 4 other rear speakers with ease and the 3801 channels were near the same of the 1610of 120w into 6ohms something around there. When it comes to companiers like denon their amps will perform to their stated specifications whereas a cheap chinese amp will give up before it probably reaches 50% of the stated power.

I would take care here. The 3801 will have a much bigger power supply compared to the 1610 (even if the power output per channel is the same). This will make it much more able to handle lower impedance speakers without problems. The smaller power supply on the 1610 could run out of juice at higher volumes, this can cause clipping and this is a sure way to damage speakers.

potshot

I didn't take the power supplies into account so maybe you should look at saving some more money for a amp above the entry level. I think most people probably go above their initial budget.

Muggs

Standard Member
Hi there,

i know i've been dragging this thread too long already but for final time, if i go for this reciver YAMAHA RXV465BL Yamaha RXV465, (refurbished) 600W 5.1ch HDMI AV receiver Quality goods from Atlantic Electronics

will it be enough for my plans or it is nt good enough. what i am worried about is that all the recivers i am looking have 100w to 120w per channel but my speakers are 200w each. if u have any suggestions please let me know. i wouldnt go more than £150. if u think theres nothing around that will support my speakers and my future surround, hd tv, xbox, i would rather sell my speakers.

cheers

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Do not worry about trying to match the power of speakers and amp. The 200W on the speakers is a max it can handle but there should be a range of power which shows the minimum as well (this is often down at 30W or less). The recievers you are looking at will all have more than enough power to run the Eltax speakers you have. The 465 again is a couple of years old and is only 1.3 HMDI. Considering you can buy the newer 467 (which is 1.4 HDMI) for £180 now that price seems quite expensive at £150. Hence I would get the 467 instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom